Takayama halo fin

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SharkB8, Apr 22, 2017.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8 Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Anyone try one?

2. robsawyer

robsawyer Member

Mar 2, 2012
    Bi-Coastal
    I chatted with Micheal Takayama a few months after Donald's passing and he was getting the halos going in his personal quiver, saying that uncle was stoked on what the halo brought to the table - both in the large single fin form and the small halo sidebites. If Donald liked them- then they work. If you have a chance to try one, I think you should.

3. SharkB8

SharkB8 Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Found one on sale. Why not?

4. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    USA California
    SB8: looking forward to your review. What size and what board are you going to use it in?

The fin's design is intriguing even if it's leading edge looks a little....unforgiving. If anyone ever has one of those bizarro Strata fins, I'd like to try one. The Noah Ka Oi site has been sold out of them for over a year, almost certainly never to return.

5. SharkB8

SharkB8 Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    IMG_1877.JPG I got the 9.5. I ordered it from Noah ka oi. Got the confirmation order too. Hopefully it shows up. Honestly not sure what to try it in. Have a dt2 60s. Might try it in a soul glide. Even a Hawaii nose rider. Been in a fin mood lately. Mostly riding my glider with what the locals call a frank fin. He cuts up old fins and at first I thought he was nuts. He doesn't surf but rides alia type paipos. He's made a few different ones but the morning guys all ride different styles and different types of boards but we all love them. Don't have a picture of the speed version.
    Sorry a.d.d. Kicking in. Anyhow so many choices and building a fin quiver is cheaper.

6. SharkB8

SharkB8 Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    IMG_2533.PNG Is this the same?

7. FirstPointEric

May 9, 2010
    USA California
    Yep SB8, ^that's^ the one. All that surface area is supposed to give it lots of hold, but they're small (7.5"), so who knows? If anyone has used a Strata, I'd love to hear about it. http://www.noahkaoi.com/#!/Strata-Fin/p/43868384/category=2714435

And you're right: fin quivers are a lot less expensive and, more importantly, can turn a scurvy dog of a board into gold. Someone once described fins as being akin to gears and I think that's an apt analogy.

8. FirstPointEric

May 9, 2010
    USA California
    I asked Noah about the Halo and, unfortunately for me, he's not used one of the larger ones on a real log, but wrote "I do know that the Halo fin is one of the fastest fins that I have ever rode (very little drag) and could be a fun fin in the right board."

I also asked if they happened to have a Strata lying around the shop and luckily, they found a used one with just light scratches. Again, Noah: "Donald told me that he bought a box of these fins back in the day because he thought they were great noseriding fins. They don't make them anymore because they were a molded fin."

It's in the mail to me now; look forward to seeing how well it works.

Eric

9. michael

michael New Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Long Branch, NJ
    Looking forward to seeing how you like the strata

10. FirstPointEric

May 9, 2010
    USA California
    It'll be mid-July before I get to ride it, but it should be fun. I'll definitely post up about it after I've given it a proper go.

michael likes this.