Takayama DT2 vs Model T small kine waves

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Havoc, Mar 8, 2015.

1. Havoc

Havoc New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    what's the consenus?
    i've ridden a dt2 and thought the rocker was low and it caught waves super well. thought the rails were pretty foiled for the dims. rode a standard 9'2. would prly go 9'4.
    i currently have a 9'2 takayama cassia meador and it's great but a bit too much rocker for the micro mush.
    i'm 5'10x160lbs and middle aged. ride shortboards, fishes, and mini simmons in the 5'5-6'6 range.
    would the model t grovel better? which one is better for cruising and doing roundhouse cutbacks? model t looks more old school noserider while dt2 looks like a low rocker performance longboard.
    thanks in advance

2. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Hey Havoc- I have a 9'6 model T that I really like, but I wouldn't pick it if I was going to have just 1 longboard. model T is a great Noserider, but I think in order to get really awesome noseriding ability, you sacrifice other stuff like turning ability. If all you care about is getting really nice noserides in the right conditions, then the model T would definitely fit the bill though.
    Edit: the above is not meant to be a knock on the model T at all. It's just IMO a board really built for a particular purpose, which it does really, really well.

3. Havoc

Havoc New Member

Jan 12, 2015
    thx RIer, makes sense. heard the dt2 was one of their best sellers and best all arounders. another one that caught my eye was the LJ richards but they seem rare. i'll post up what i end up with.

cheers.

4. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    I've ridden both (admittedly in surf tech but even removing their lightness/ corkiness I think it's relevant)

I thought they were kind of different style boards. The model T is going to suit tiny waves better for surfing in a single fin pivot/ stall style. The dt2 seemed more like a performancey design so of you want to carve roundhouses it's probably the better template but in tiny waves it's the amount of wave face you've got to work with that's going to be the limiting factor.

I'd say your original post sums them up well, it just depends how you want to surf

5. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I've surfed my dt2 in ankle-knee high crap and was still able to get nose time. Model T is a one trick pony. dt2 does the entire repertoire.