Swami Jacked

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Veterano, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    JMJackFish likes this.
  2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

automatic weapons and a nervous trigger finger usually = a poor outcome

back in the mid 70's, freshly arrived at a mid Baja point, after listening to our bitching about getting jacked for this and that by the Federales at a south of Ensenada checkpoint, the grizzled vet we were setting up camp next to just smiled and said "the only thing you can bring down here that you can't replace is your life"...

shadydave likes this.
  3. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Ah, I remember that check point. Long gone but not forgotten, I remember it every time I drive past it going north and then going back down south. I've been involved in gun induced jackings here and overseas. The dynamic changes quickly. That mossback at the point was entirely correct, words to live by.

JMJackFish likes this.
  4. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Been is Sayulita 3-4 times in the last 3 years.
    Again, if you go to the usual places, and behave normal, you are ok.
    If you behave like an obnoxious gringo, you are going to be very noticeable, but you are still ok.
    Now, if you think you are Rambo, and can drive a van in the middle of the night, venturing to far away locations, with Gilligan's hat, big-ass Nikon cameras with heavy 300 mm lenses, and so on, you are gonna get mugged. There, in Rome, or even Manhattan.
    I was talking with a local friend in there, and I wonder why, despite the crazy amounts of drugs that exists everywhere, there is no petty crime on the streets of Sayulita and close by locations.
    If you go to the local cemetery, you 'll see tons of pictures of young people dead. Everywhere.
    Recent deaths. That's fucking scary.
    anyway, so his response as to why I never seen anyone getting his wallet stolen, or cameras, or any minor thing , was pretty clear to me.
    " Cartels keep it clean, so more people come and consume drugs".
    WTF

Latte likes this.
  5. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
  6. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
  7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Maybe a stupid question, but how feasible/safe is it to take a boat down there? With all the scary stories of the road down, you'd think surfers would have boarded a boat by now and taken to the seas. Or is the road trip and inherent risk part of the overall lure? I sure would love to slide some of those points, but I think I'm too lily-livered to actually do it.

8. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    I know someone who was robbed at gunpoint while fishing on a lake charter down there. Not sure if that answers the question.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    My Dad was a yacht broker for years and we were always around the waterfront trading stories with all kinds of salts, some very serious sailors and a lot of weekenders. Sailing in Mexican waters is a mixed bag... a lot like driving down south! Some people had nothing but good things to say about their experiences, sometimes decades of them, with some precautions. Others, first time down, had boats raided lawfully or un.

Vague laws, made-up laws, boats searched and impounded. It can and does happen, though I never met anyone subjected to serious violence, which I can't say for the land travellers.

I've only helped ferry boats up from Ensenada, so have no real personal experience.

I do love the place, but sometimes wonder how the heck it got to where it is now. The craziness predates the drug-fueled mess by a long shot. Do some serious reading on the Mexican Revolution period...

10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

for a couple of decades visited a friend (now deceased) at the beach house he had built a few klicks east of the San Jose Del Cabo estuary, during east cape swell season....just up the road from my friends place a gringo retiree had built an ocean view showpiece on a bluff, gracious dude who always welcomed company with a cold Pacifico...coming back from the east cape one afternoon, find the road in front of the neighbors house clogged with police vehicles...the owner arrested for totally bogus marijuana possession...his house, vehicles and local bank accounts impounded...within a week of his arrest he was found guilty, assets forfeited, and deported to San Diego with zero recourse...shortly after, a local politico /real estate developer with a shady reputation moved into it..

it's not just the cartels who present a danger to gringo's..

Ticowannabe likes this.