Surfmats East Coast - what equipment, conditions, when do you use... stories and so on

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by DownSouthSlidah, May 22, 2017.

1. kash

kash New Member

May 10, 2017
    Palm Beach County
    I didnt even know matting existed. This site rocks. Good Luck to you DSS!

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
  3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Got the 4G standard out in some decent waist-high surf last week - each session is certainly a bit of a progression, but humbling all the same. The kick certainly wears me out a bit, particularly now that I have some proper fins (older churchills). I've yet to feel the "relative speed" that's been talked about, but I did catch a couple down the line and another wave that caught up to the wave in front of it and provided quite the thrill ride while depositing me unceremoniously on the beach.

Using the technique described in Mark Thompson's how-to vid seems to work pretty well for catching waves, at least thus far. I still have a tendency to grab the thing and squeeze it all over the place once I catch a wave, even though there's no rhyme or reason to my technique. I do appreciate how different it is, though and look forward to bobbing around and catching a few on it once the arms get tired. And now that I messed up my shoulder, I'll likely be back out kicking around on the mat well before taking a board out.

Stringer likes this.
  4. Justino

Justino Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Crumbly windy waves are fun. Hard not to have a good time since you are not in competition with anyone. We have three of them. A 4gf polara, 4gf fatty, and a krypt. My favorite is the krypt, even though it is mass produced and feels cheap. It seems to slide out the least. The 4gf mats are well made and a bit more expensive. Good to travel with as well, just bring a patch kit.

5. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Since jacking-up my shoulder last week, we've had a decent run of swell in RI this past week at it was killing me not to be out in it in some capacity, particularly since I'll be offshore most of July (upon the water, but unable to be in it). So I decided to take a couple forays with the mat Tuesday and Wednesday. It was definitely the biggest I've had the mat out in and I caught some pretty good ones. The last wave I rode on Tuesday evening took me all the way to shore, gently over the cobble beach and deposited me high-and dry once the wave receded (a feat that certainly would have resulted in some substantial damage to any surfboard). The mat was surprisingly easy on the shoulder and it felt so good to just float around - the mat provided a good neutral support base for my arm/shoulder 90% of the time I was in the water - it was actually more comfortable while I was in the water than most of my terrestrial time over the past week +. Shoulder was a bit tight the next day, but not in an all-together bad way (more like sore from using it a bit, not acute pain). Getting out through the whitewater was a bit challenging, but persistence and mad kicking seemed to be key. I was just happy to be out there & pretty stoked I had the mat available to play around with.

6. kroo

kroo Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

matsurfer likes this.
  7. kroo

kroo Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. kroo

kroo Active Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Don't have one. Looks fun in the right kind of waves though

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Fun in any kind of wave, fun is where you make it.

matsurfer likes this.
  10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    So here is what happens when I mat in Oceanside. I avoid crowds, find a little(or big) peak that isn't crowded, and have at it. Today was typical, after being in the water about 30 minutes on a nice inconsistent peak south of the main crowd, all of a sudden I had 6 guys I didn't know around me going for what I was enjoying. I haven't been in the water for weeks and wasn't feeling like competition, so I caught one to the beach. Crowd mentality in the water is frustrating for a mat surfer since you can't compete on chasing peaks and you are basically at a disadvantage being low in the water close to agro surfer's fins. Alternative is confrontation, I'm way past that at this point (most of the time). Mat on, it's a great alternative ride.