Surfmats East Coast - what equipment, conditions, when do you use... stories and so on

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by DownSouthSlidah, May 22, 2017.

1. kash

kash New Member

May 10, 2017
    Palm Beach County
    I didnt even know matting existed. This site rocks. Good Luck to you DSS!

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
  3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Got the 4G standard out in some decent waist-high surf last week - each session is certainly a bit of a progression, but humbling all the same. The kick certainly wears me out a bit, particularly now that I have some proper fins (older churchills). I've yet to feel the "relative speed" that's been talked about, but I did catch a couple down the line and another wave that caught up to the wave in front of it and provided quite the thrill ride while depositing me unceremoniously on the beach.

Using the technique described in Mark Thompson's how-to vid seems to work pretty well for catching waves, at least thus far. I still have a tendency to grab the thing and squeeze it all over the place once I catch a wave, even though there's no rhyme or reason to my technique. I do appreciate how different it is, though and look forward to bobbing around and catching a few on it once the arms get tired. And now that I messed up my shoulder, I'll likely be back out kicking around on the mat well before taking a board out.

Stringer likes this.
  4. Justino

Justino New Member

Nov 15, 2016
    Crumbly windy waves are fun. Hard not to have a good time since you are not in competition with anyone. We have three of them. A 4gf polara, 4gf fatty, and a krypt. My favorite is the krypt, even though it is mass produced and feels cheap. It seems to slide out the least. The 4gf mats are well made and a bit more expensive. Good to travel with as well, just bring a patch kit.