Surfing in a contest and wearing a watch to time the heat

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by schwa, Aug 2, 2009.

1. schwa

schwa New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    USA Florida
    Please don't anyone mock me for asking this question, as it is a serious one. I'm entering my first contest and my friend told me I should wear a watch with a timer on it so I could time the heat which is 15 minutes. So I went out and bought this expensive surf watch and used it today for the first time and I find that as I am taking those last few paddles to stand up, the watch is deflecting water and messing up the stroke. Is this my imagination or is this really happening? If any of you have been in a contest, do you wear a watch? What do you think?

2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I always wore a watch during contests. I found it pretty helpful to have. It's easy to lose track of time out there -- sometimes you think you've got less time than you really do, and other times it's the opposite. The watch can clear up that confusion as long as you set it properly. It can be a little tough sometimes to get it set when you're trying to jump in the water to paddle out. I never noticed any problem with paddling though. What kind of watch did you get?

3. schwa

schwa New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    USA Florida
    It's the Freestyle Shark Classic. It's pretty small. It has the same effect as when I used to grab the rails on the side to stand up, it seems to slow the board down a little. And I agree it seems like it will be a a pain to try to set the watch just as they are blowing the horn to start the heat. If I use it I probably won't use the timer, instead just check the time right when they blow the horn.

http://www.freestyleusa.com/products/Shark/Shark+Cyan/

4. retroactive

retroactive New Member

Apr 30, 2008
    Bulgaria
    If the contests that you are surfing in are the regular format with a five minute warning ( two horns ) that signals the next heat to paddle out set your watch then, so you can count down the time before your heat starts, that way if a set comes you can judge it and see if you will be able to pick off a wave early in the heat. Also you won't be fumbling with your watch when your heat has already started. I have the kids version of the shark classic it is really small, never had a problem though, but all the contests that I surf in I am wearing a full suit

5. schwa

schwa New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    USA Florida
    Good idea, thanks.

6. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    no way a watch slows you down when you paddle. i always wear one in the water especially in the mornings when I surf before work.

7. pierpont-scott

pierpont-scott New Member

May 11, 2006
    schwa wrote:
    I think it is the KOOK factor coming into play:shock:

8. schwa

schwa New Member

Apr 17, 2008
    USA Florida
  9. Smokey

Smokey New Member

Apr 8, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    I have a red watch, it makes me paddle FAST! The only thing that would make me paddle faster would be a red watch w/ flames on it. :dude:

10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    schwa,

Retroactive is correct. Time your go out to the two horns! I have been judging and surfing contest for 21/27 years respectively. I gave up contest in 1994.

Here's the deal, flags and horns do not work when your hustling to shag those mandatory three waves or so. You have to remain focus on your game and that game is catching waves period! It's the strategy of pro's. You must catch your mandatory waves and surf 'em well to qualify for the quarters/semi's and finals.

I use a 1979 Pulsar Dive watch with a a bezel (sp?). I set it to the two horns and then I gage by power drive to the line-up!

Unfortunately, I do not surf competively anymore. I made a major error in the mid-90's surfing against a guy that you and the surfing community would give your left nut to surf with one on one. I blew it by not catching three waves. I only caught two (cause I was bullshitting with the guy) but just being out with the guy, surfing one on one, made it so worth while!

Hint!.................It's called soul.

Dp