Surfing and Health, Doran Paskowitz

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Driftwood, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Just throwing out a feeler before purchasing. Has anyone read this book... any insights?

Pretty familiar with the character, so it should be worth reading in any case, but I'm not feeling quite as immortal as I was a few years ago and I'd rather learn from others than have to reinvent the proverbial wheel!

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    after watching the docu-movie "Surfwise' about the Paskowitz family, hearing the comments from his kids about what Dorian put them through, it was easy to understand why most of his kids wanted nothing to do with him once free of him...

3. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    The Foundation exercises by Dr. Eric Goodwinn
    The book ..
    Fit to Form..is amazining..

4. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    That was a wild film. There is always a lot of focus on 'living the dream', but there was a great deal of collatoral damage done.

That being said, if I can be in that type of shape at his age, I'll be happy to learn.

Thanks for the Goodwin reference, I'll check that out.

5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    MIssion Viejo, California
    I’ve never been a gym rat and doing exercises, but started about a year or so ago and centered on exercising aimed at improving surfing and cycling.

Cycling is a great way to build up your legs and cardio, I’ve ridden road bikes for decades. But if you want to get back that immortal feeling... mountain bike. Started riding mountain bikes in my early 60’s and almost killed myself, screwed up my shoulder in the process. That said, there is nothing more demanding skill wise.

John

JMJackFish and Surfnfish like this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    My wife and I both watched and agree.

PeakMaster and Macilious like this.
  7. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010

I might have the book at home and will gladly send it along if you want it. I'll check for it this weekend. I remember the book was OK. Not sure it really added anything from a fitness perspective for me. But some interesting stories and theories...

Driftwood likes this.
  8. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    fully agree, John, MTB's a great work out...spent decades trail riding the coastal mountains surrounding Half Moon Bay. No surf, jump on the bike and go pound some trail. Wrenched our bikes from the early hardtail V brakes rides to later full suspension disc brake builds.

Much more cruisers these days, we recently gave our high end MTB's to 2 of our grandkids, both excellent athletes, to help them keep up with their fitness addict triathlete Mom, who is a beast on a bike of any kind...

Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  9. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    If you'd be game, that would be great. Happy to cover whatever, or to send it back your way when done!

10. Driftwood

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    I may have to give mountain biking another go. Was really fun a few years ago, then my son wrecked my bike (basic bike, not a major loss and he came out unscathed so all is well) and then I wrecked my knee.