surfer dies from wave pool water exposure

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Kellys' operation employs 65 million gallons of fresh (pumped from a highly polluted agricultural water table) water..15 million gallons of it used in the wave pool itself is supposedly UV and chlorine treated...having dealt with water treatment on a commercial level, have remained skeptical to the effectiveness of treating such a large body....this is just sad, and hopefully will generate a closer look at wave pool water safety..

https://www.thedailybeast.com/surfe...moeba-after-visiting-texas-wave-pool?ref=home

Latte likes this.
  2. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Wow. Brain eating amoeba. Apparently that wave pool at Waco was treating it less like a swimming pool and more like a lake, and warm, freshwater lakes are notorious for having these amoeba. It's a really fun looking wave, but eeehhhhh... scary.

Just to clarify, this is the BSR Surf Resort in Waco, not Kelly's wave. But I'm sure both are scrambling to make sure they are chlorinating their water.

3. Flip756

Flip756 Member

Mar 4, 2016
    USA North Carolina
  4. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    So very sad

5. Dynaglyder

Dynaglyder New Member

Dec 21, 2011
    The term “killer waves” comes to mind.

6. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    Extremely warm water plus lack of treatment will yield the nastiest bacteria.

Latte likes this.
  7. glider_boy

glider_boy Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    SD
    NLand in Austin has an extended back and forth with the county about water treatment issues - as I recall they have to test on a daily basis. These things are huge and you can't treat them easily like a swimming pool.

8. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    The smell at NLand was terrible. Honestly, if I’d of been looking at those same waves break in nature in a body of water, and smelled that, I would not have surfed them. To think NLand wanted me to pay $100 for an hour of exposure to that shit was asinine. It was a strange experience.

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    So you surfed NLand, or no? If so, I'd be curious to hear your review and whether you rode a pig (and which one) or something else.

10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Fleishhacker pool in SF., which operated from 1925 to 1971 and was located across the street from the ocean on the south end of OB, used straight seawater to fill the massive pool which could host 10,000 swimmers. Lifeguards used row boats to cruise the water. My cousin and I lived a few blocks from it when kids, and were in it frequently, jumping from the diving tower a terrifying rite of passage.
    Despite the massive crowds, water induced pathogen sickness was never an issue, as saltwater tends to neutralize pathogens. Would think with the issues of water consumption and drought in the US, new wave pools with reasonable adjacency to a saltwater source should use it whenever possible.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    dingdong and sightpoint like this.