surfboard waxing rules

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Oct 5, 2018.

1. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    my wax jobs are the worst, in too much of a hurry usually to get that new board in the water...then once its on, it just gets uglier and uglier over time, big flat bumps, patches of no wax, all the clean wax up front where I've failed to venture...you get the idea

sonOsea and michael like this.
  2. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    I can relate to the clean wax up front :confused:

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Ha!!! Okay, guilty. I don't wax them with the bar, but if I'm just starting a session and I've already paddled out, I will sometimes put my feet, one at a time, up onto the waxed deck while I'm sitting in the lineup just to make sure that I'm not too slippery. I have blown some first waves without it and would argue that it actually works.

4. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    One thing I have notice is every time a swap boards in the water I find the board I end up with is under waxed for my liking. I wax up before every session and like a nice build up aka alligator skin or croc which ever you prefer. I generally don’t wear a leash so I wax to the rails and wax to the nose regardless of the type of board.

Flip756, JMJackFish and miscreant like this.
  5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    As "rules" per se go, I'd say never wax past where you go. If you never get to the tip, don't wax to the tip.

John

6. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    I only wax there in the event I fall off it helps to hold onto the board

7. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Strip the wax maybe once or twice a year. Touch it up before each session with a little fresh and/or a comb. It get's dirty, but the bits of sand and wetsuit residue helps with traction. Tried doing the fancy pattern, just didn't look as good as other's work and it just isn't important to me. Went out a few weeks ago with an old wax job on a board that I hadn't surfed for several years, just a quick touch up and worked fine. Waxing is over-rated, but if you enjoy doing it have fun. For some it seems therapeutic - nice.

8. davey

davey Member

Jun 9, 2007
    Australia
    How hard is it to keep your board looking good. Make an effort, respect your board and it will return the favour..

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I was talking to my ding repair guy about this. He's an old timer who loves to talk surf. He said, "What's with these guys that only wax up to a certain spot and then stop? What, are you trying to conserve wax? Wax is cheap, and maybe you'll get up there this time!"

michael likes this.