surfboard waxing rules

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Oct 5, 2018.

1. tc96707

tc96707 Member

Feb 3, 2016
    USA Hawaii
    Does anyone wax their feet too? I’ve seen an old timer do that. Before he entered the water from a rock jetty, he waxed both his board and feet.

Unless waxing the feet prevented him from slipping on the rocks???

2. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016

I have not done that. Seems logical though.

3. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    and if i don't muscle it in, it bumps up nice.

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I’d like to see pictures of a Million Dollar wax job too. The heat gun blasting toward your hand also. Maybe you could help wax boards for Roy Stewart then the board would be worth $2M!!

miscreant likes this.
  5. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Why hasn’t wax been more of a thing?

It seems like people could get all science-y with marketing. Chemistry and all.

Maybe make an entire elaborate system involving various tools and accoutrements. Heating tools, cooling tools, various brush/comb, scraping mechanisms.

SeniorGrom likes this.
  6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I haven’t been snow skiing in years but I would get all science-y waxing the bottoms. Different formulations for conditions with a wooden handled heated iron to spread it on then work it in with a cork block. Hmmmmm....

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    'Flash', best nose rider at our local back in the day, guy was ten toes over for days...always rode a stock old school narrow nose LB.... religiously waxed his nose before every session...on the bottom...claimed it created drag when he was up on the tip, slowing the board down and keeping the tail locked into the pocket, giving him more tip time...

miscreant likes this.
  8. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

I've read that Dane Perlee and CJ Nelson would wax their fins (obviously, big single fins) at certain places like Ubilam where indeed the drag would help them stay locked in the pocket. Where did Flash wax his bottom? Tail, I'd guess?

I'm not a fancy wax guy; sticky bumps basecoat nose-to-tail, cross-hatched rail-to-rail, then filling it in from there. Bumps come up nice. Aloha73 generously gave me some bars of this basecoat that I can't recall the name of (helpful, I know!) that I'll try next time I strip a board. Brian, a little help?

I'll tell you what: Matsurfer does the best wax jobs on the planet. No designs, just absolutely perfect little bumps (half the size of the ones that rise up on my boards) that are spectacularly regular. Amazing.

Feel free to add photos if you think you do a particularly good job of waxing boards and, hell, show how you get the bumps to come up that way.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    What the hell? First waxing your feet, now wax your bottom also? What's next, a Brazilian wax job?

10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    no..waxed underneath his nose, literally...would flip the board over, and wax the bottom rail to rail from tip to about 2' back....weighted nose push slows the board up, tail hangs in the pocket longer, longer tip rides...

regarding snow wax...snowboarded the deep and steep all over the PNW and Canada for decades until injuries caught up with me...traveled with complete wax/edge tune tool box, waxing stand...right wax such a difference in snow glide...