Surfboard Security

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by 70s SanO, Jan 29, 2018.

1. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Let me start off by saying that if someone really wants to steal something, it is probably gone.

Over the years I have been fortunate to have kept my bikes from being stolen, although I generally keep an eye on them and not leave them unattended for a long period of time. Plus I have a wide assortment of U-locks and hardened security chain that will at least slow someone down.

I've tried to do the same with my surfboards and I am using a modified fin box locking system that seems pretty stout without breaking the bank.,, I still keep an eye on the board and I don't assume what I have done is foolproof.

I went down to our local surplus marine shop and foraged through the bins until I found parts that would probably work. Paid my 5 bucks and headed home to see what I could come up with. I had done something similar with aluminum angle and strip years ago but that cuts like butter.

After a few hours of cutting, grinding, filing and drilling, and a couple of minor finger casualties, I came up with this...

IMG_5090.JPG

With the soon to be replaced lock (Abus, Abloy, etc.)...

IMG_5088.JPG

So far so good, but I need to connect it to something. I had been using a Kryponite bike cable, but those are easy to cut; and connecting all of this to an aluminum Yakima crossbar, seems to be counter productive. I have seen the Steelcore locking straps, that look like a pain and cost a fortune, and they don't cut as easily with bolt cutters, but there is also a product called Lockstraps that basically looks the same. I found a 2-1/2' strap with a little suspect locking carabiner at Home Depot for $15 and decided that would work. Run it through the door and hook it out of the way on the visor like this...

IMG_5091.JPG

Not fail safe, but better than nothing and I really didn't want to use 20lbs of bike chain locked to the car frame.

John

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  2. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Genius! I've had a number of various board locks over the years similar from the one you developed to the steelcore and other locking straps. The steelcore seem bomb proof but they are super stiff to work with and are indeed $$$$$$. Your little "invention" is way cheaper and just as effective.

3. ElBrooklyn

ElBrooklyn Active Member

Oct 17, 2014
    NYC-EH-MTK and LBC
    I dig it! Not bombproof but definitely a deterrent. Which is pretty much all you need.

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Kanulock surfboard straps - been using them for years..good locks, strong but flexible straps with embedded cables...good to hold off the amateurs...nothing is safe, however, from the determined dirtbags with battery operated 4" grinders...the only thing that works on them is a Glock 19...[​IMG]

5. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Here is a picture inside the car. I hooked it on the visor, but only to keep it out of the way. The strength comes from not being able to pull the carabiner through the closed door not the visor mount. The combo lock is so cheesy that I would never use it to secure anything... but the strap is well made.

I will probably just cut the hook off so I don't have to hang it on anything.

IMG_5093.JPG

John

6. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    Great Job on that. Skilled handy man.

I will add a couple of suggestions, if possible.
    Unless the strap has metal inside, it can be easily cut with a sharp knife.
    I had a similar set, but I am lazy, so i bought this

https://www.storeyourboard.com/surfboard-longboard-locking-system-dock-locks/

the other easy alternative I use is to put the board in a bag, and get a gun lock through the eyeletes of the zipper
    and attach the gun lock to the cross bars of the car
    again, you can cut it with a wire cutter, but as you mentioned, it will make them walk to the next car

gun locks are free in some police stations, or cost not much at walmart
    and we all have a decent board bag with zippers

7. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
  8. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    The strap has a steel cable in it. I have used a thick bike cable in the past and I'm torn between the 2. Bolt cutters will easily snip the bike cable, but won't cut the strap. However a good pair of side cutters will probably cut it because once the fabric is cut the small cable inside can be cut pretty easily.

I personally thick that flat stainless braid would be the best solution, but I haven't found such a beast. A 1" wide braid inside a fabric strap would probably be the way to go.

The other issue will be the actual locks. A bad lock just makes it easier, especially if the person has any picking skills. Cheap locks like the Master one above can be picked or bumped pretty quickly and it doesn't attract attention. Haven't heard good things about combo locks.

It is really about making it enough of a deterent that someone does not want to spend the time needed to try the theft and get caught. The best system is multiple devices, but even I wouldn't want to take the time to install them.

John

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    "It is really about making it enough of a deterent that someone does not want to spend the time needed to try the theft and get caught." - Exactly. Also making it easy enough to use so that you use it. If it's a PIA you'll get lazy and stop using it. Nice job.

10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I think you cracked the code... Especially with the fin box fittings. I want to build a Pvc board rack and store boards on the side of our house which would be out of my sight most of the time. Something like your setup would be great.