surfboard marketing gimmicks

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Jan 3, 2017.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
    JMJackFish likes this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I'm with you on this topic Mike. 100%

3. RIer

RIer Member

Jul 17, 2013
    I get the skepticism, but it does seem likely that any remaining innovation in surfboards would be in materials

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    I do agree that huge leaps have been made over the decades in understanding and evolving design and performance. Especially with high performance shortboards. These involved, contours, edges, fins, materials, and construction. It's just the labels that are funny. So much of the design change seems to have been hit-or-miss, but each 'inovator' also creates a word combination as a marketing tool.

5. miscreant

May 20, 2016

Fire sure. There'll be new whiz bang materials, and there'll be surfboard manufacturers claiming those new materials do ______ for your surfing. Then there'll be the purchasers. Then there'll be the regurgitation of the false allegations the manufacturer made about the impacts of the materials on ones capacity to shred. And on and on it goes.

If these gimmick hucksters would just adjust their vernacular a skosh I'd shut the hell up.

For instance, an ad or an interview that said: "we're trying new shit. You might like it. Try it, then we can pay our bills"

I'd have no soap box to stand on.

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I think you'll always have gimmicks out there to some extent. I feel like it's part of the natural selection of innovative progress. Features or materials that offer some substantial improvement will survive, while the meritless gimmicks will eventually die off and disappear. Likewise for improvements where no improvement is needed. It seems that behind every gimmick is someone who legitimately believes that there is some substantial benefit to their "thing". Whether the "thing" is some new attempt at optimizing flex, spiral vee, funky wingers, or even just a resurgence of pigs, there's someone that is stoked enough on it to try to introduce it to the masses.

I had an e-conversation a couple years ago with the guy who invented the obscure "Ahi Board", a short-lived bodyboard/paipo hybrid from 1987-88. It looked like a spacecraft with its molded venturi bottom, crazy built-in fins, etc. More than 25 years later, this guy was still stoked as hell over what he described as the fastest surfcraft he had ever ridden. He had all kinds of theory behind the design, materials, and revisions that supported his enthusiasm. Whether his design was a gimmick or not, I have no doubt that he believed in his "thing" 110%.

7. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    With out doubt there have been material and design innovations that impact ones capacity to shred. A pneumatic surf matt can't do things a thruster can and vice versa.

8. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I love people that try crazy stuff cause it's never been done before. Terry Hendricks was one of those people. If you don't push the envelope you stay inside it.

Marketing something because you have a passion for what you believe is a better idea might be differentiated from marketing for a profit, but sometimes they achieve the same thing - improvement.
    hydrofoil bellyboard description.jpg

9. miscreant

May 20, 2016

I think non standard surf craft are great. People like this guy you mention are inspirational. They tinker with something to satisfy their ideas.