surfboard marketing gimmicks

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Jan 3, 2017.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
  2. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Active Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Pretty "Edgy" Mike...

3. pilau

pilau Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    USA Hawaii
    that parmenter article is too long to read on my phone.

i have a couple of others that are dubious in my book : One is bottom concave and the effects thereof. I've read many statements that it creates lift. I've read nearly as many that it creates suction that pulls you up the face of the wave creating the illusion of lift. Lately, I think I'm more in the camp of stating that it creates suction. The other is spiral vee. That one is kind of my favorite. I've been told completely different interpretations of what spiral vee is by some quality craftsmen whom we all know and respect. For the record, I don't think spiral vee is the same thing as a double concave inside of a vee bottom.

Mike... I'll get that flow through fin in the mail to you this week. The holidays delayed me. Sorry about that.

MDM likes this.
  4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Automotive marketing has been the worst offender at this ridiculous jargon since the begining of time. How's your Turbo Hydramatic Transmission shift? Worst of all after people's eyes glaze over they go buy one.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
    PeakMaster likes this.
  5. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    no worries!! thanks!! I'll be stoked to get it back. I've been curious to get reacquainted with it since I've been on my Pieter. It seems that fin gives my feral a feeling close to my Pieter. If memory serves.

6. TonyPR

TonyPR Active Member

Aug 4, 2014
    Puerto Rico
    The last paragraph made me think about George Greenough and his velo spoon, he tuned the flex patterns of board and fin by gradually tweaking it to his feel. This probably took a lot of trial and error. That board and fin probably just worked well for someone exactly his size and with his ability and riding style. It is something that can probably be worked out through shaper surfer relationship but through many boards and tweaking only one or two variables at a time. Easier if the surfer is the shaper.

I also enjoy riding bodyboards and in my oppinion flex is the single most important design element on a bodyboard but bodyboard shapes are very simple and have very little differences in between them.

Great read Mike and I will also like to add that the most important piece of surfing equipment we have is our body, most times it's the fletcher not the arrow.

7. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Here's Roy's take on flex:

ElBrooklyn likes this.
  8. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    Perfect!!!!

9. miscreant

May 20, 2016
    Thanks for posting that dingpatch. Stoked to hear Roy's take. His dual fulcrum and harmonic bit seemed quite niche. His bit regarding large manufacturers seemed on point.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017