Surf trip, Basque Coutry

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Hye Tyde, Jun 17, 2015.

1. Hye Tyde

Hye Tyde Member

May 7, 2006
    USA Massachusetts
    Howdy surf brethren and sistern,

Mid-September I'll be taking 2 weeks off, and I'd like to go someplace epic to surf. I turned 50 recently, so time to stop dreamin' and time to start doin'.

I'll be travelling solo (pathetic... I know), but at this rate hell will freeze over before I meet "the one" to take a cool trip with. So screw it, I want to go someplace, I've worked hard and earned it. I don't care about how much of an a-hole I look like by myself, life is too short.

Basque country has always intrigued me. No, I'm not harboring any dreams of hooking into Hossegor bombs, or getting shacked at Guéthary, or hanging with the beautiful people in Biarritz, but it would be cool to score some fun waves after the August euro-hordes have thinned out some. I'd rent a car and explore around a bit, do the Hemingway thing like in The Sun Also Rises.

I lived in France from '85 to '87 teaching high school English in Paris, and can still speak French reasonably well (no Spanish, sadly). This was long before I surfed, so I never made it down to the Cote Basque.

There are some other areas of France's Atlantic coast which look cool too, around La Rochelle and Brittany. Brittany is a spectacular area but a bit remote.

So has anyone been there? Any recommendations for me (besides playing in the traffic)?

Thanks

2. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Nothing pathetic about this. The trip of a lifetime and i applaud your choice here. I've not been back since the early 2000s but my buddy Josh goes twice to 3x a year. Happy birthday and again, great choice!

3. dewey

dewey Member

Feb 16, 2004
    St George, Ut
    Never been to France sounds like a great trip go for it....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

dewey:cool:

4. bonzer

bonzer Active Member

Mar 11, 2014
    USA New Jersey
    There is no better trip I can think of, and no better time to go. For crowd avoidance I'd try to miss the contest which runs Oct 6-17 so you're good on that too. Do it! Most memorable trip of my life (2x), and even my wife wants to go back.

5. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
  6. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Sounds like a great adventure Hye! Good on ya for going solo. We'll expect a full photo journal of your travels when you get back to stimulate us (well me) to get off the couch and book a surf trip!

7. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    do it! it's a trip i want to do too one day.
    you already did 'a moveable feast' ...go do 'the sun also rises'
    traveling alone can be a fantastic immersion

and send pics and a journal

8. DFL18

DFL18 Member

Dec 8, 2005
    USA California
    The great thing about going solo is not having to worry about how long your sessions are or what you need to do in order to get there.

Who knows you might meet a beautiful woman in Basque Country!

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Nothing weird about travelling on your own. I've gotten used to it for work and have met some nice people that way.

The Basque country is one of my favorite places on earth. Can't go wrong there.

Fall is the perfect season, though still crowded you can find windows at some of the lesser frequented spots and even Parlementia mellows out. Sept water temps are toasy warm and October stays spring suitable at least the first couple of weeks. Easy travelling distance to San Sebastian or into the mountains... good stuff.

I live in Bordeaux but get down multiple times per year. Used to surf down there a lot. Feel free to MP me, or if you have specific questions here, that's fine too.

La Rochelle is neat, some good surf on Oleron just next to it.

And Brittany... that place is a wonderland of a totally different type. Great people, great culture, good surf but you have to work for it most of the time.

10. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    Bi
    Sounds awesome & inspiring- have a well earned happy birthday

Btw, look for some Driftwood ;)