Surf travel: bring fins for rentals?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Salinity, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Well so far the experiment is paying off. I got a hold of a local 8-0 that had a beat up but decent 8” Laird in it - I tried it & then swapped in a 9” 4a shoved all the way up in the box (I like em slightly overfinned & loose) & noted a definite improvement in the board’s drive off the bottom.

I did bring my own tired leash as part of my surf pack (mostly to save any leash rental surcharges) but noticed it coming apart this am, so the guys from the rental place (Pauhana) hooked me up.

6E52D2B9-3C4D-443A-8ACC-CB7D647D8843.jpeg

BrazilButtNut and michael like this.
  2. Single_Fin_Orange

Single_Fin_Orange New Member

Jul 10, 2018
    Florida
    If I'm taking a carry on, I like to travel with a couple of single fins. I'm terrible with a tri-fin set up and it seems like rental logs often have a 2 + 1 set up, especially in Hawaii. If I can ride a single fin I'm much happier. Body surfing fins are a good addition as well(if there's room). At a minimum I like to throw a surf mat in my carry on for emergencies.

3. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Just got back from a trip to Chicama and bringing my own fins was the key to setting up a good combination with the rental boards. I brought a 10" 4A, 9" 4A and a 8.5" Skip. The 10" and 9" went into a couple of glassed 9'3 - 9'6 boards and the Skip was a welcome addition to an epoxy 2+1 that had sides in it already. I also used the 10" in a epoxy 9'3 ITP and it went really well. The fins they had in the boards to start were junk, typically with the sides being too big and the center being too small. Forget trying to ride as a single with the fins provided. I let several other people on the trip use the fins too and they seemed to enjoy riding the larger single fins.

Salinity likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    brilliant - from your experience, what bearings for a Futures LB box..?

5. Salinity

Salinity Well-Known Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Also, a small screwdriver works pretty well. You’re gonna need it anyways to get the rental fin out...