Surf travel: bring fins for rentals?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Salinity, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    headed to the Dominican Republic tomorrow & Im going to be renting a board (not a soft top) for the week. They apparently allow daily board exchanges, so I can play around with a few different ones if inclined.

Anyone ever pack their own fins for rental boards? Is it worth it? Was thinking of bringing an 8 & 9” 4a + some sidebites to cover anything 7-6 And above that I end up on. Just not sure it’s really worth the risk of them getting lost, damaged etc.

JBorbone and JMJackFish like this.
  2. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Never thought of bringing my own fins. Genius.

JBorbone and Lackosense like this.
  3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I suppose my rationale is that (obviously) fins can make a perceptible difference in how a board feels. How much of a difference for boards typically in the rental fleet (Torq, Blue, etc) remains to be seen. I have seen a couple of pictures from the rental place with some interesting boards in the background (Walden mid-lengths, etc). My experience with fins on rentals has been pretty bleak (chipped,wicked ground down tips, etc). I'm not going into any sort of world class surf or anything, but it's supposedly pretty consistent.

JBorbone likes this.
  4. michael

michael Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    Interested in hearing the results. Junk boards with nice fins thread

Salinity and JBorbone like this.
  5. surferchic5555

surferchic5555 Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Interesting idea if you have certain fins your are utterly in love with. And most longboards will offer a standard box. (Shortboards are a mixed bag, of course.) They only drawback I can see would be that now you are responsible for that rental fin when you are out - unless you leave it at the shop & hope they notate that you didn't take it with you. You might need to be able to safely keep your fin(s) & screw driver at the beach with you which could be a theft hazard depending on where you are. Maybe one of those thumbscrew wings would be good to have, but my friend used one, and it kept loosening up by itself when out surfing. He eventually ditched it after losing a fin once. Have a great trip!

Lackosense likes this.
  6. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Good point about the fin responsiblity - I’ll have a rental for 7 days, so doesn’t really apply (stash the rental fins at the casita), but prob not worth it if only renting for the day. I have a hex key, etc packed, but I am a big fan of the tool-less fin screws. I use them all the time & thankfully haven’t had one back out on me (yet).

7. russneversleeps

russneversleeps Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Side-slipping down an unfamiliar wave is all part of the fun of a holiday rental. Or is that just me?
    No, it's good idea, but don't try an take a fin in your hand luggage.
    Airport security will be very suspicious of the the curved plastic axe blades that you're trying to smuggle aboard.

8. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    I have packed a 9" Allison fin after making a purchase of a used PTLW at Surfy Surfy a few years back. Put it in my carry on without issue out of SNA. The DR may be something else on that though as they are not the surfing mecca that is the OC.

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    That seems like a great idea. You already said you're bringing sidebites and whatnot, but it's worth reiterating sidebites and a reasonable smaller center fin along with whatever regular single fin you bring. I had a rental guy take the sidebites out of a longboard in Costa Rica, even after he said something like, "Are you sure?" Sure I'm sure. Next thing you know, I'm sideslipping down the face on a greased banana and trying to hold my line. Doh!

Related: Since I use a longneck calf leash when longboarding, I like to bring my own leash for travel. Any rental boards I've ever had have standard leashes. To me, having a workable leash that stays out of my way feels almost as important (if not more important) than customizing the fins if I'm doing any surfing that requires cross stepping.

10. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    If you have time you can switch them to the KUMANO system! Seems pretty easy. You drill 2 holes and pop the Kumano ball bearing in there. Or you can get those hand tighten screws. If I were gonna bring fins, I would want to be able to switch and move them easily.

https://www.kumanosystem.com/