Superstitions

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by surflugen, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:38 PM.

1. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    091527ED-4BA5-48B3-A088-E33B63318776.jpeg I try not to say “where is everyone?” out loud ever.

Chilly Willy and surflugen like this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    One of my buddies would shush me every time we were in the surf and I said something positive about the conditions. Afraid I would jinx it.

3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Guilty as charged! But, where I surf, an epic 4' point wave can just die! You'd be waiting for that next wave for a week less ya do the "paddle of shame".

4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    was surfing a reef in Tahiti, at the end of the session told our small posse which included our host, an older local charger named Eric we had met in the states, 'I'm gonna take one in."
    Eric immediately cringed and shook his head, 'don't do that, man, never let the reef know when you're heading in, or it will try and hurt you.'
    I laughed politely, thinking WTF, is he just messing with me or is he really that superstitious?
    Next wave, snapped my board in half, hit the reef, wear the scars on my shoulder to this day.

Back in Eric's small boat, he handed me a lime half to scrub the reef cuts with (works incredibly well btw), and wagged his finger at me. "Never let the reef know when you're heading in, because it will hurt you. You must fool it, keep your mind clear of such thoughts, get a good wave, and only at the end of a ride once you're cleared the reef decide to go in, because than the reef can no longer hurt you."

Scrubbing lime juice into the tiger claws across my shoulder, exploring just how many swear words I knew, I surf the f*#k wasn't going to disagree with him..

5. deemce

deemce Active Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    When i get in I always flip the board and check for dings before i paddle out. Dont remember why but have the same ( superstitious) ritual for the last 4 decades +\-