SUP - First Steps?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by twizzly, Jan 12, 2008.

1. twizzly

twizzly New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    I'm probably a solid 24 months behind the "trend wave" on this one, but a handful of my pals are about ready to dive into getting SUP's.

Anyway, I had a few questions for the board:

1) instead of dropping $1500+++ on a first SUP, does that Surftech Mickey 12' SoftTop work as a decent first SUP? (I weigh around 180 lbs) I think they still sell them for $500 at Becker, which would keep the whole enterprise below $1000. I think Becker may have some poly SUP's at around $1000 too. Anyway, what are some decent first timer boards that keep costs down and can grow with you a bit?

2) Does anyone use wax on these or is it all about the traction pads?

3) Any suggestions on a paddle?

2. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA
  3. spicollilives

spicollilives New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    USA California
    What made you decide to go over to the dark side?

4. gaucho

gaucho New Member

Mar 3, 2004
    USA Florida
  5. twizzly

twizzly New Member

Dec 22, 2006
    hahaha! i figured i needed a flame suit for this posting!

6. MonkeyBoy

MonkeyBoy New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA
    twizzly wrote:
    :dude::D

Attached files
    [​IMG]

7. Surfertom

Surfertom Member

spicollilives wrote:
    Spicollilives!!!

I was cracking up when I saw your post because I was thinking about making a "dark side" joke when I saw what the post was about.

I am not going to SUP anytime soon, but I will grudgingly admit that I have seen one guy in particular in my area that is pretty darned good on one and it looks pretty cool to see that big thing bopping along. BUT, I r-e-a-l-l-y don't want to have a lot of those things clustering around me in the water.

ST

8. spicollilives

spicollilives New Member

Mar 26, 2007
    USA California
    MonkeyBoy wrote:
    How did you find that picture of me?

I am very much anti-sup. Unless there is NO ONE around. At all. Or if youre going long distance voyaging.

I never want to be a dick in the water, but if its over two feet and theres someone riding one, I will make a point of cutting that person off everytime. haha.:p

9. Gready13

Gready13 New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    USA California
    spicollilives wrote:
    hahahahahahahahahahahhaah omg that soooo funny :p:p

I am still rolling on the floor laughing. Do those things have fins or is it just a flat canoe?.... lol

I would dif try a SUP down some white water; thats MY new sport:shock:

Hey that sounds like an awesome idea.... now I want an SUP for the rivers....:cool:

10. rodsamper

rodsamper New Member

May 10, 2005
    Hey SUPing is good clean fun. You just have to be extra considerate of others and considerate in your choice of surf spot. Finding empty places is what SUP is all about.

clean 1-2 ft sunset is a lot of fun on a SUP rig and hardly anyone is out. The designated area at San O of course...

Twizzly- buy a used SUP instead of the ST 12' or the equivalent Munoz. The board is only 26 1/4 wide and the bottom contours and rails are not conducive to stand up paddle stability.

180 lbers can ride the 12' Munoz but they are not good learning boards and not really good SUP boards in the end anyway.

Guys over 200 are well served with a 29" wide. You would be ok with a 28" wide to start and would get the trick of it quite quickly.

Action Water Sports has some good deals on SUP boards. I just picked up a 10' x 28" x 3 7/8" E3 loaner board for my light friends for $599 there recently. They had an 11'6" x 29" E3 for the same price that would have been perfect for you.

If you want a soft top SUP for learning I have a supplier that gets me boards for $500-530 depending on size. the 12's are 30" wide and the 11's are 29". They are not as good quality as the surftech softies and they flex a fair bit but they will do the job to learn. I just got an order of 3 of them for my private lifeguard company and I'm pretty happy with them. If you want I would be happy to order one for you. I think they retail for $675 so you'd save about $175 right there.

As for paddles- the carbon fiber ones are really the way to go. I think Steve Boehnes's SUP boards are the best I've tried but I'm not a fan of his otter tail paddle so I use quickblades, werners and a C4 in that order of preference.

Don't be discouraged by your initial session. The first day kicks everyones ass. Well except for my tandem partner. She just popped up and paddled away from the very beginning and had a dry hair first SUP session. Practically unheard of but she is a gymnast/ trapeze artist / highly coordinated freak of nature.

Good luck!