Sunny Garcia Confirmed in Hospital ICU

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Killafornia, Apr 30, 2019.

1. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    So, he tried to hang himself.

2. HerbB

HerbB Member

Nov 10, 2018
    Pennsylvania
    Always someone I wish I could meet. Just get the sense I may like him if I did.

Hope he doesn’t need my well wishes, but sending them anyway,

DJR likes this.
  3. dsquare

dsquare Active Member

May 16, 2013
    USA Hawaii
    I got to surf in the water with him once. My daughter and I were out at Turtle Bay with a host of GoPro sponsored athletes. The dude is massive and his presence in the line-up is palpable. He was having a great time and hooting on other surfers. Conditions weren't ideal for his typical power surfing and he was more than happy to watch other people have fun. His smile was contagious on a day when the waves were full of people. I know he had a reputation for being a little more physical at times, but the guy is an island legend and I wish him the best.

4. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I have always liked Sunny. He's my age and height. Weighs what I should weigh, so he's big for a surfer and he always seemed genuine. I was impressed with his candor, openly discussing his depression. It would be very easy for him to portray a charmed life on social media and cover it all up with Hawaiian sunsets and tube rides and never say a word.

My prayers are with him and his family.

PeakMaster and jonbiz like this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Best to Sunny. He did an interview some time ago published in TSJ.

6. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Active Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Inner demons are no joke. Seems like a great guy, dad and grandpa. Hope he pulls through and gets the help he needs.

7. jonbiz

jonbiz Member

Jan 11, 2016
    Wilmington NC
    Sunny has a heart of gold. Wears it on his sleeve, very humble guy. Glad to consider him a friend. I hope he gets better and the help he needs. Just went to see him happy again. I wish people got to know the real Sunny.

8. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    Any updates floating around regarding his status?

9. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Saw this on Taylor Knox IG yesterday
    taylor_knox
    It’s been a 30 yr friendship Sunny... there were up’s and downs but no matter what we always found a way to laugh at the stupid shit we did:). Holding your hand the last couple days gave me a knowing that you’re still with us... come back to us Sunny there’s so much love waiting for:) plus I need at least 30 more years of you making fun of me.

10. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    found hung and unconscious, likely he incurred brain damage from the oxygen deprivation...so sad...depression is a genetically influenced illness just as heart disease and diabetes are...not a f'n character deficit...

Last edited: May 9, 2019