Stuck zipper

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by SharkB8, Jun 12, 2017.

1. SharkB8

SharkB8 Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    I know someone has asked and answered but I can't find it. How do you free up a board bag zipper? I remember rub soap on it so it doesn't get this way but little late for that now. Thanks peeps

2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Maybe spray with WD40 and use pliers to get it started. Then some light Vaseline 'til operating smoothly.

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Ugh! That is the worst. I try to remember to test my zippers before putting a board in the car. I got to the beach one time to see nice chest high peaks only to discover that my board was entombed in my bag thanks to a stuck zipper. I was so desperate that I borrowed a knife from a nearby construction worker and performed a board-ectomy, cutting it out of the bag.

In a pinch, sometimes pouring a little fresh water on it can loosen it up enough to let you muscle it open. I feel like a Leatherman could be a handy surf accessory to have on hand for either getting a better grip on the zipper (or cutting it out as a desperate last resort).

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Would that be called a Sea Section?

5. shadydave

shadydave Active Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Just spray it with PB Blaster then let it soak. Then as SG said use pliers or vice grips once you get it in stuck spay the whole zipper down with wd40.

6. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Awesome !

7. SharkB8

SharkB8 Member

Sep 21, 2011
    USA Virginia
    Lucky for me I found the problem before driving my 40 minute drive. Actually it was almost a month ago but haven't got back to it. I've grown to hate the smell of pbblaster so I'll try a little water. Then move to wd40 and so on. Watched a guy last summer knife a bag. Cut the bottom tail in a c shape. Guess you can gorilla tape it later. Thanks for the help fellas

8. shadydave

shadydave Active Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    Just an FYI PB is a penetrator while WD is a lubricator. :)

9. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Shazam! Nice one. :)

10. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    A real long time ago I used to use wax on the metal zippers on my sleeves to keep them from getting stuck. Have no clue if it really helped, but this thread reminded me.

John