Stoker V machine - Fowler or Anderson?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by newlyn, Oct 29, 2017.

1. DanSan

DanSan Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Almost 3 months later..
    And still no bad days..waves..etc
    And with a new vmachine 5 finner on the way..i expect
    The same...

Artz and BrazilButtNut like this.
  2. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    Had my Fountain of Youth out the other day. Still a fun board but I am hoping for better conditions to really give it a test drive. Great paddler and easy to get into waves.

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  3. DanSan

DanSan Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Which one did you get?

I fricken love my V8..thing kills..
    And new vmachine will do e next week..yahoo

4. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
  5. DanSan

DanSan Active Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Sweet dims..nice outline..cannot wait until i get it
    Pacifica...only clean place today would be killer on it..
    Not that the V8 wont do fine..
    Oh..ok
    I just found my new machines dims
    7.9 x 23 1/8 x 3 1/4

6. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    DanSan, what's the deal with the New Machine? Modified SVM? I have to admit that this line by Bruce intrigues the heck out of me.

7. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Active Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    The "New Machine" is an evolved SVM aka Plain Jane aka FOY....... Foil Distribution makes for more efficient lift, easier to turn & duck dive. In some ways a marriage between v machines and V8's - they got together and made a baby.

Essentially a 5th gear added to the original super user friendly sleds with all the original benefits. A "friend with benefits" kinda deal. Lol.

Here's an 8'0" for your inspection. 8'0" Tommy Band Foil Shot.jpg
    8'0" Black Tommy Band.jpg 8'0" BOTTOM SHOT.jpg 8'0" DECK ANGLE 2.jpg 8'0" DECK ANGLE TOMMY BAND.jpg Welcon to the Machine-2.jpg

8. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Thank you kindly. Let me see what I can move in the garage to make some room...

SDBoardHoarder likes this.
  9. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Active Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    A little recycling can be good for the soul?

The guys (& gals) that have been riding these for the past 6-8 years seem to like this latest incarnation. I thought it was important to keep all the user friendly attributes of the design while moving it forward into a higher performance incarnation. One should not supplant the other when it comes to possessing comfort & performance.

The center rocker line remains dedicated to generating wicked fast straight line trim speed while the wide tail block, panel vee plane, and uber thinned out deck line in the very last portion of the tail releases water quickly and torsionally flexes when sufficiently loaded to create 'rocker on demand'. The release is noticeable compared to the older versions, particularly thru the 2nd half of the arc while turning or cutting back.

My V8's kept evolving over the last several years, and while working hard to create the best 'new age' v bottom that I possibly could, the whole process regroomed my thinking toward how surfboards work using Draft, Pitch, Resistance, Plane Geometry and terms that aren't commonly used when describing surfboards. All the boards that I am doing with v bottoms always incorporate Plane Geometry and a two rocker relationship; meaning the relationship of Centerline Rocker to the Rail Rocker coupled with Rail Contour and overall Surface Area. And yes, Flex is also part of that too. In some respects, there's some Greenough influence to them in that his early day Flex Spoons were about 'rocker on demand' and generating horsepower.

George is a friend, and he probably influenced me with his rantings about more horsepower (lol). Those wide tails I'm using have a ton of horsepower in nothingness waves, and the new 'uber foiled' tail blocks allow you to transition from rail to rail quickly without feeling the width. The corners of the tail block are so thin they even act as their own kind of fin.

Wide boards are inherently more drivey than narrow boards which go rail to rail quicker. This new approach has allowed the wider tailed boards to feel more like their narrower counterparts while not giving up all that easy paddling & trim NEW MACHINE777.jpg NEW MACHINE 3.jpg speed. In a sense, it's the best of both worlds. NEW MACHINE555.jpg NEW MACHINE444.jpg

SDBoardHoarder likes this.