stim unit..

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    The standard for treating tissue injuries is ice and stim (tens units). Problem has been stim units were bulky, cost around a $1000, and only health care providers could get them.

Not these days. Been using a TechCare stim unit for a year now, for my shoulder during RC repair recovery, and for the usual nicks and dings us active elders seem to rarely be without. Wife is using ours as I write this, treating a pulled muscle while lifting in the gym the other day.

For $26, cannot go wrong with this unit. Utilizing the standard ice/stim protocol, excellent for pain relief and accelerating injury healing.

https://www.amazon.com/TechCare-Portable-Massager-Handheld-Professional/dp/B01M5FZ5EY?th=1

Dawnpatrol, Driftwood and hankster like this.
  2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Gotta say, $26 will not buy much. I say this as someone who has bought 5. For my wife's practice and for me & friends. Every geezer down here seems like they have now. They work for keeping going at an acceptable level as aging takes it's certain toll on people that remain active (and surf!) and of course rehabbing from a surgery/injury. The latest around here now are these home ultrasound units. Treatment using these and a stim will keep you hopefully off the pills. But, IMO, you have to have a more that basic understanding of Kinesiology and meridians to get the most out of these therapeutic tools. I'm getting mine out after a hot shower to get some qui to my ailing hip after a full on mineshaft wipeout this AM.

Dawnpatrol and dingdong like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Being totally ignorant on the subject - what are the major problems with the unit in Surfnfish's post? I'm just at that age where injuries are getting more frequent and taking longer to heal - this latest knee ordeal (new scan today, lots of missing cartilage but the meniscus and ligaments are healing well).
    What I certainly don't mind doing is learning the protocols involved with something that helps out!

4. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I'm an orthopaedic surgeon, and I've prescribed them for home use for years. The things to be aware of are: they don't always work on every joint or for everyone, but they do mostly work and it's not a placebo effect. Placement of the electrodes for a specific problem varies from person to person, has nothing to do with meridians. A PT will move the electrode pads around to find the optimal location on each patient. The units only provide relief that lasts briefly after they're turned off, and that time is from hours to a couple of days, depending. I'm not familiar with the unit listed above, but via Amazon, it would seem safe to try, and it's not expensive.

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  5. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Pintail, many thanks for the additional info, it is appreciated!

6. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Nothing. For $26. Step up to around a $60 one and there's a world of difference:

https://www.amazon.com/Fabrication-...1523758033&sr=1-1-fkmr0&keywords=IF-4000+stim

- Good for non-pro home use. And you might hit a jackpot like a friend of mine did. He ordered one and they sent him 5 and only charged him for one. Pass Go, collect $200. That deal was how a lot of my surf buds got 'em.
    The unit my wife uses for her practice was $600. This unit is set up to clip the juice right on her needles. Whamo!

Surfnfish likes this.
  7. Killafornia

Killafornia Active Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Do you have to order the xtra pads and gel?

8. Malibootay

Malibootay Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Newport/West Hills
    After they loose their stickiness, you can rub water on the pad with your finger and let them absorb it face up for a few hours and they will become sticky again.

Stim units are great with an ice pack after any strenuous activity. I wouldn't use it for longer than 30 minutes, just from what I've been told by PT's and OT's (OT student here). Can cause pain and muscle twitching from over stimulating the muscle. (Talking to the people that have them on for 8 hours a day). Don't consider this a recommendation, rather how I would use the estim on myself.

Cheap units are OK. I'd buy a rechargable unit or else you'll be going through 9v batteries like theres no tomorrow, it adds up. Get one with a warranty so you dont have to worry when it dies.

Killafornia likes this.
  9. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Try the unit out first. Then, based how much you use it, decide when (or if, if you do not connect with the treatment). do some online research on how to proceed once you get the unit.

Killafornia likes this.
  10. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    - Good call on the 9V life in those units. But for personal use, should be OK. Forgot to mention the water/pad trick, BUT they do wear out (lose stickiness) over time.

Malibootay likes this.