Spraypainting a Surfboard

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by joepoko, Apr 24, 2018.

1. joepoko

joepoko New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Queens, NY
    So if I have an old board just sitting around looking for new life to be breathed into it, what's the best way about going about painting it? i've read a couple of tutorials online saying just to sand it, spray it, clear coat it, and rip it, but i dont know if any of you have had any experience with doing that first hand. essentially just taking an old yellowed log and painting it a golden color. I have acrylic paints that I could use currently.

Thanks for the help dudes.

2. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I’ve had great success w Krylon spraypaint. Cheap and effective. Doesn’t require sanding. When it chips off just spray some more. I’ve been riding one board for 10 years w minimal wear.

dingdong likes this.
  3. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Our kids went through a phase of painting their boards years ago. They used the cheapest paint and did no prep. It chips, but I was amazed that it didn't peel.

They masked off different areas to make geometric designs and used multiple colors. Pretty cool.

John

4. joepoko

joepoko New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Queens, NY
    i feel like i see that brand name pop up a lot. and i have to go to a michael's this coming week so that's even better. i'm just going solid with the design.

5. joepoko

joepoko New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Queens, NY
    what about molotow paints? everything i read online on blogs plugs that brand name a whole bunch. are there certain paints that don't react well with the fiberglass resins?

6. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    if you use an acrylic spray (Montana Cans) https://www.montana-cans.com you can then do a poly resin gloss-coat over it. then, it'll legitimately be part of the board and will never chip off.

7. joepoko

joepoko New Member

Feb 6, 2018
    Queens, NY
    you can find those at like any arts store?

8. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    https://www.montana-cans.com/en/store-locator

I see you're in Queens. There are tons of stores in the city that carry them. I get mine from Blick on 23rd and 7th.

9. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    Yep, just like Sdsurfer says, no sanding required, Tim Stamps told me exactly the same thing when I wanted to repaint my yum yum yellow board, just spray on, couple coats of clear and a little wet sanding to smooth it out a little, and it was good to go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    They sell Krylon everywhere, even Walmart. And with the leftovers you can paint a lawn chair.

ElBrooklyn and Surfnfish like this.