SPEED WOBBLE!!!!

Discussion in 'Skate' started by enlongated land surfer 52, Mar 22, 2006.

1. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    I got the full on pads just in case. After a winter of snowboarding, including head cracking ice action and lots of knee slamming, I'm a lot more comfy on the skate with some padding. Here's where I got my stuff, it's the real thing, very reasonably priced and fits like a dream.

Jules

http://xsportsprotective.com/protec-street-pads-combo-pack.html

2. gcs

gcs Member

Mar 7, 2004
    USA
    Thanks - I am putting them on the shopping list. Any thoughts and preferences about helmets?

3. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    Well, skate helmets are like rock fall helmets, built to take repeated beatings. My ProTec ww kayak helmet also doubles quite nicely as a skate helmet.

My thoughts are, find a skate or multi-use helmet that can take multiple beatings and that you can also stand to wear. Bike helmets work fine in a pinch. Protech rocks for good helmets and pads.

Jules

4. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I wrecked myself pretty badly after getting speed wobbles while bombing a hill when I was younger. I don't have any advice, but I do feel your pain. Speed wobbles are the worst!

5. longboardmaster

longboardmaster Administrator Staff Member

Feb 14, 2004
    Yea, bombing hills is risky even with full leathers, pads and helmet. Doing it bare is kamakaze, but that doesn't stop people from doing it.

Speed wobbles come from loose trucks. Even on low "speedboards" (see abec11's site, and chris chaput) if the trucks are loose you risk the wobbles at high speed. Squatting down really won't help, in fact, you'll have less control. The bent over semi tuck position that racers assume is the optimum- no lower or higher- for maximum control and speed.

6. ska1234

ska1234 New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    yeah i dont knowif anyones said this but you can flip your hangers on the randals to make it wayystable. Stock randal bushings suck so your gonna want somenew bushings probablly a little on the stiff side. Also your s9 deck might be kinda flexy so thaat dosnt he lp.. for downhill you want some stable trucks with a stiff board. that bring said...i bomb some huge hills and have gotten to 30 onmy original trucks and flexy ass board.

7. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    what do you mean flip the hangers?

flip the trucks? i might try that.

jules

8. ska1234

ska1234 New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    no i havnt actually done this because i dont ride randals a ton but you take the hanger off of the baseplate, and flip it so the baseplate is on the same way but the hanger is backwards and put the truck back together like that.. ill see if i can get an example

9. ska1234

ska1234 New Member

Jan 2, 2007
    yeah and if you wanna get more serious into downhill you should deffinatlly check out www.silverfishlongboarding.com my name is ska1234 on that hit me up but yeah way more downhill oriented in there but they have forumsfor every riders.....any longfboarder should go there.

10. photonicgirl

photonicgirl New Member

Dec 30, 2006
    USA New York
    I know what you are talking about, but I guess if you haven't done it yourself it's kind of hard to judge if it works...I haven't done it myself either, not sure if I want to try it...I have several boards with randals on the normal way...have heard about flipping them but didn't know it made things more stable rather than less. Maybe someone else will post who has some ideas, it sounds cool to me.