Speaking of old guys

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by nedsurf, Nov 7, 2018 at 7:04 PM.

1. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I wasn't really looking for examples of altruistic lives as I realize that there are a number of people who have sacrificed for the good of others.

My point is that what most people do is self serving. Finding someone who has lived his life doing what he loves is really how we all should be.

Something to think about during that grind at work. I know I will... wait a minute, I'm retired. Never mind.

John

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  2. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Bryce Harper rejected a 10 year $300 million contract offer... could be it was too much money and he didn't want to take advantage of the Nationals?

John

Edit: I know this is getting OT, but that $30 million per year equates to $9 from every ticket by 40,000 fans at 81 home games or 500 people buying a beer at each game.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 11:39 PM
    BrazilButtNut likes this.
  3. miscreant

miscreant Well-Known Member

May 20, 2016
    70s SanO,

Journalists, heck maybe even artists come to mind also.

I think I get your point though. Anyone acting selfless is motivated by the self? I mean one must choose to act selflessly. Are you suggesting that choice is selfish?

4. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Trolling involves lots of noise and equipment, and it's pretty easy to troll along and snag other peoples lines, but evidently it is still effective at bagging a few. Not my style but some seem to use it heavily.

For those that lost track, it was a simple birthday notice.

DJR, BrazilButtNut and 70s SanO like this.
  5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    From a macro view, props to George for his much valued work in shepherding in the shortboard evolution...his work with Wildnerness surfboards helped propagate hull and high aspect fin designs up and down the coast at a much needed time, and remain in effect to this day.

From the micro, just another wealthy trust funder who pursued a life of indulgence, following his personal passion to another country to continue it in a than less crowded arena...expecting surfers to be philanthropic or fully community centric is much like expecting a cat to start playing the piano...it's rarely done, and notable when it is...

6. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    I apologize for my cavalier remarks and any participation in this.

John

7. LB LIZARD

LB LIZARD Member

Mar 22, 2007
    USA California
    Surfing itself can be a selfish thing. My wave, my beach, snaking, burning, anger, etc. Oh, and no respect for your surfing elders

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 12:00 PM
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Bums me out. It’s been years since I had hair. I wanted that mop when I was 16.

PeakMaster and Roach like this.
  9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    There's a difference between being selfish at the expense of others and being selfish with some kind of soft, possibly unintentional, benefit to others.

From a fairly peripheral viewpoint, it seems George's passions have certainly benefitted the surfing populace, rather than taken away from it. And some people do not need to work for a number of reasons in order to ends meet, I find it hard to begrudge people their inheritance and circumstance, unless they use it to make others' lives harder (hmm, this could get political...)

DJR likes this.
  10. LB LIZARD

LB LIZARD Member

Mar 22, 2007
    USA California
    A trust fund kid then and now a trust fund elder. Hey, don’t knock it.