South Wales, Cornwall in August

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by newlyn, Apr 15, 2019.

1. newlyn

newlyn Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    USA Pennsylvania
    We are thinking about a family trip to the UK this August. We would spend a few days in London, maybe go to Bath, and then not really sure where we are going. Surfing would require all the stars to align, but, if I wanted to be in the right place if the stars were to align, where should I go?

Also, any recommendations of places to go, things to do in the southern end of the UK?

2. surfore

surfore Active Member

Mar 2, 2004
    USA California
  3. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    As you probably already know, August is one of the more fickle months of the year swell-wise, but you may be lucky...

The wind is always a key factor anywhere in the UK, but we are lucky to have lots of nooks and crannies to fins shelter. On the flipside, this means a bit of extra work and/or local knowledge.

It's hard to generalise areas, but here's my take - north coasts of Cornwall and Devon are fairly rugged, windswept and unspoiled, interspersed with some more built up areas, Newquay, Bude etc. I live in North Devon, which is fairly well populated and certain breaks can get busy, but it's generally fairly mellow.

Most shapers have demo models if you want to ride a decent board or you can head to somewhere like Open, like Surfore mentioned, to hire from a wider range of boards.

Wales is fantastic in lots of ways, but you will need to strike it lucky to get decent waves in August. West Wales is worth a visit in any case, surf or not.

Aside from surf, there is plenty of good walking, art galleries, good restaurants (South Cornwall in particular and Padstow).

4. ChyandourSlider

ChyandourSlider Member

Nov 3, 2016
    West Cornwall, UK
  5. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    The Minack Theatre is worth a look if you go to Sennen and it happens to be flat. And yes, if its flat there then you won't be surfing anywhere in the SW.

6. russneversleeps

russneversleeps Member

Apr 20, 2007
    Hey Newlyn,
    All good advice but Sennen is a six hour drive and on the wrong side of the road all the way. Keep an eye on the forecast but don't hold your breath. If you're looking for history and culture we've got loads of the stuff. Bath is a couple of hours from London and
    Avebury, Silbury and Stonehenge are all on route.
    I work in London and live in Brighton on the south coast - there's almost no chance of waves near me but you're welcome to borrow a board if a miracle summer swell happens.

7. newlyn

newlyn Active Member

Jul 20, 2013
    USA Pennsylvania
    Thanks for the advice. Looks like surfing is highly unlikely, but I'd still like to get to Wales just to say I did it, as I have a lot of Welsh ancestors. Where should I go for one or two days with my wife and two kids?

8. jory

jory Active Member

Dec 25, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Honestly, If you want to get in the water to say you've surfed, but aren't expecting too much, you will probably score. It can be completely flat for a week in august but often there's a short period logging wave that's clean first or last thing. Summer water temps are around 16 so you will need a suit of some description but no boots. It's all beach break. Kind of like Florida with a bit more consistency and colder water!

As a general rule, the further west you head the more swell there will be. There are beachbreaks on the north coast of devon and cornwall from Woolacombe right the way down to the aforementioned sennen. If you have limited time, the area around Braunton ( where PLanktom and I live) has a selection of waves from san-o like saunton for logging to French style low tide sand bottom barrels at croyde round the corner plus a option at putsborough to avoid the prevailing SW winds you often get hereabouts. Its about 1 hour 45 drive from bath so doable for a day and there are places to rent wetsuit and foamies or surftech style boards. The coast here is beautiful and not very built up. It's narrow hedge lined lanes to the beaches and chocolate box thatched cottages

Wales generally gets less swell than devon/ cornwall but is if anything a bit less busy and built up. Surfing wise, things start from "the gower" by Swansea and extend west from there. The gower is a pretty unspoilt headland area with quite a few beaches. Swansea itself is not that lovely as a city. Heading further west, Pembrokeshire is really beautiful. Similar to devon/ cornwall, its small towns/ villages, green fields and farmland down to sea cliffs and coves. Surfing wise, theres hundreds of spots. Freshwater west is a well known beach break that gets plenty of swell and nearby manorbier is a good sw sheltered option with a cool castle overlooking it. The whole area around there is beautiful. Have a look at the "national trust" beaches. They are all secluded and beautiful. Barafundle bay and bosherston lilyponds are lovely as a coastal ( surf free) walk.

Hope that helps!

9. russneversleeps

russneversleeps Member

Apr 20, 2007
    There's also this film from the tourist information department in North Wales:

glider_boy likes this.