Son of Cobra surfboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by hullogfish, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    This has to be the greatest troll we’ve seen in years.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    "Sure, a......can be shaped in 2-3 hours by a master shaper, this is almost always not the case with properly shaped displacement hulls."

To suggest a hull is somehow more complicated to shape then a complex tri-hull is nonsense. Concave or convex, channels or belly, rolled or flat..if a shaper has his chops down, he knows exactly where and how to blend deck, rails and bottom into the desired foil, regardless of the shape, and how to maximize planer cuts and minimize hand finishing.

Here's a link to a short video made with Terry Martin a few years before his passing, shaping a perfect longboard in 40 mins. Some would argue a classic longboard is pretty much just a longer hull. In an interview he once gave, Terry said the first boards he shaped back in the early 60's took him so long Hobie would ride his ass to 'quit being afraid of the planer and use the damn thing.'

3. The Kooks Society

The Kooks Society Member

Mar 29, 2016
    USA New York
    Such a rad video! I would not dare to compare Paul with Terry, even having them in the same sentence is weird.
    Yet, if the question is “has anyone surfed a son of cobra shape and what do they think about it?”. My answer stands. I have one, it works fine for the beach breaks here (under head high), it has two fins, I did not pay $1200 bucks for it, and... voila!

Still the kid has resin skills, no? :)

15577FF3-BEF9-413B-95A5-92883EF2AF85.jpeg

JBorbone likes this.
  4. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    Here's the way i see it, these avant-garde shapers/glassers are selling an image. Sure building boards can be considered an art form, but when you try to sell surfboards as art pieces you lose me. Lets be honest the board is meant to be ridden & perform. You can polish a turd, but its still a piece of crap. If guys can claim high $$$ and sell their boards to people willing to pay than more power to them its a capitalistic market out there. But don't stand above those that aren't charging the high $$$ & act like somehow the boards are better. My goal was always to build affordable boards that the average joe could afford. Just because someone can charge more for something doesn't always mean they should. Just my outlook on all this fuss.

Surfnfish, PeakMaster and FalseDawn like this.
  5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Well said Sir. I see sooooo many pictures of these freak shspes....swallow tails with either the left or right swallow hacked off...but hours spent on the resin color and design. Never once saw one in the water or actually being ridden in pics or videos. Saw where are they? Hanging on some douchebag's wall in Vail?

6. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    We all love to play in the water. Read the forecasts and relish those times when conditions line up for an epic session. I have too many boards, mostly 9’6 and over. Trying not to churn through boards but learn to ride what I have. Got a decent idea now what will work for me at my skill level in the mediocre conditions here. The different board shapes are to help me feel the power of the wave in a unique way. Some times I pick the wrong board for the conditions other times it’s sheer magic. There are only a few George Greenoughs on the planet.

7. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California

I like this reply for it’s content not for the thread it’s in.....”The different board shapes are to help me feel the power of the wave in a unique way.“

sonOsea and JBorbone like this.
  8. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    Gentlemen, I joined this forum to meet rad like-minded dudes and to share the stoke about collecting boards; not to be called a "troll" or a "joke". Let's try to keep the chronic negativity and aggression to the lineup at Lowers on a crowded day, ya dig?

Kooks Society - we're 110% on the same page man, I've just been trying to support Paul and my buddy Tristian, nothing more.

It seems as though folks on this thread feel as though these boards:
    Screen Shot 2018-01-11 at 11.35.57 AM.png
    should cost the SAME AMOUNT as some all-white V3's and have zero more value than standard white versions of the same board. To all that feel this way, I respect and understand why you feel that way (since they will ride the same no matter how they look), but I personally disagree.

Other folks - I don't recall suggesting that artistically crafted boards are "better". I simply suggested that they are worth their value. That's it. Whether the value is in the shape (a Liddle for example) or the resin work, the value exists. Not all craftsmen (shapers) are artists so there is nothing wrong with artists in this industry (Paul in this case) utilizing a foam canvas and being compensated appropriately for it. Despite what you might think, the glass jobs by the avant-garde dudes referred to in this thread CAN'T be done by 90% of the glassers out there. Personally, I am averaging about $2.25/hour building and selling surfboards, and I know for a fact that none of the avant-garde folks that this thread is referring to are making much more given the amount of time they spend building these boards.

If everyone universally felt as though there was no value in artistically crafted boards and only cared if a board was "easy to ride", then Lovelace wouldn't be selling more boards than any other shaper in the USA right now (averaging over 25 boards/week) that are generally selling for well over $1000. I'm just stating facts at this point, that's not even a subjective opinion haha.

davey and The Kooks Society like this.
  9. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside

KP @ 10,000 boards
    Lovelace selling more boards than anyone in the US

This is amazing. Is Roy Stewart the King of New Zealand yet?

PeakMaster likes this.
  10. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Well stated. I know I get the idea in my head that a certain board is THE board for a particular swell and it turns out to be somewhat dissapointing. But if you only had one board you would make it work in everything.

Freddibetts likes this.