smartphone surf-related apps for android?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by RePete, Oct 22, 2017.

1. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    Being the cheapest person I know, and having just been booted to the curb by Microsoft's beheading of the best smartphone experience ever, I've bought an Android phone. Besides yuck, I don't know what surf/tide/wind apps to try first. Any suggestions?

People rag on Windows phone fanboys like me, but SurfInfo was IMO the best damned surf app ever written. Put together by a scientist from Scripps who surfs my home break, it was a tour de force of data presentation, integrating data from multiple nearshore buoys in real time, presenting wave energy and direction in an intuitive way that saved me countless hours and many gallons of gas.

https://www.facebook.com/SurfInfo

What's left of it is a stripped down version tuned for our local haunt. This was assembled by another SD area scientist as a favor to Bill and his legion of admirers. I think they will share the code if anyone wants to put together something similar for their own spot.

https://billsurfscore.shutterfly.com/

2. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I use Ocean Temperature app every day, select the buoys closest to you and get a picture of what's happening quickly. Temp, tides, swell height and direction. No graphics? We don't need no stinking graphics. You can always use Surfline android app also.

RePete likes this.
  3. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    I mean, damn, just look at this thing of beauty. Compass headings show swell direction, bubble colors and position relative to dead center shows swell period and direction in one go. Bubble diameter shows the contribution each component makes to total swell energy hitting the beach at that given spot. The score is an arbitrary value that reflects to total wave energy at the buoys being interrogated and the resulting energy at the beach. As long as there is some decent mid- to long period swell in the water, anything over a 12 or so is a pretty fun day.

Attached Files:

4. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    Nice, thanks!

5. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    hmm..can't figure out how to get those apps on my phone..have had it for a while..maybe I need a new one..

[​IMG]

Dawnpatrol likes this.
  6. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    RePete likes this.
  7. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  8. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
  9. RePete

RePete New Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thanks PM. Looks like this was intended to be useful as an aviation app at one point. Pretty cool.

PeakMaster likes this.
  10. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    WindyTy is the go to app for sailors off our coast. Highly accurate. I use buoy and CDIP's for swell direction and energy. Not many around but here in the PNW we have the Grays Harbor CDIP (run by Scripps). I also been using DeepZoom for tides.