SLO

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by miscreant, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    M de Oro is so shark infested.

BrazilButtNut and thomas like this.
  2. Bruce Fowler

Bruce Fowler Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2018
    California
    Option #1 - Surf Beach

Option #2 - Moss Landing

Option #3 - Ano Nuevo

Option #4 - Alcatraz

Tip: Have Life Insurance policy paid up.

BrazilButtNut and Dawnpatrol like this.
  3. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Yea, next to De Oro I avoid the following:

#1-Surf Beach
    #2-Asilomar
    #3-Moss Landing? The only real problem here is the Local Salinas Trucker Crew! Never had an issue with GW's here.
    #4-Swantons, aka Davenport Landing. Another haunt of mine until I had an encounter! Major harbor seal haul out area.
    #5-Ano? This was my main break in the 60's and early 70's, just down the road from where I grew up. I had no issues here but my old surf buddy, a ranger there, met me one day up at Franklin Point as I was getting out of the water and took me just down to the reef separating the mainland and the Island. There on a low tide was a gray whale carcass with several GW's feeding on it! That was it! No surfing Franklin Point and as the elephant seals population exploded around the area, no more Ano!
    #6-I do not surf Deadman's anymore either, tho its been years since I took the trail down there. Anywhere around the Gate can be iffy. Having commercial fished the area and seen 'em at Bonita Point Cove while on the hook I'll say a buddhist chant for SonOSea for where he surfs a wee bit North.

In summary, I have surfed numerous places in Northern California, Oregon, WA and VI. I am no longer a fan of Northern Oregon especially the Needles, Mushies and the south Jetty of the Columbia.

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    Ranger Gary..?

a handful of us fought off an attempt by a lawyered up trust fund yuppie jackoff trying to get a Monterey Bay Sanctuary permit to run 'white feeding trips' inside Ano bay...was planning on chumming the big boys up, putting thrill tourists over the side in cages...we shut it down after several heated public hearings..

"Get killed in a car accident, you're just another statistic. Get killed by a GWS, however, and now you're a legend" Dick Keating

BrazilButtNut and DJR like this.
  5. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    2 great posts in a row. Thanks.

BrazilButtNut likes this.
  6. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    Over the past few years I have been pretty exclusively swimming for surf, either body surfing or mat surfing. And I think about the old grey guys a lot since I basically resemble a big old fat sea lion with arthritis. But I always justify it by thinking about the numbers, and the fact that we have not had a sea lion show up with big bites. A few prop cuts, which are pretty traumatic, but no big bites.

To be philosophical, sharks are like the rest of life - you're going along and things are good, making good money or swimming well depending on your circumstances, when WHAM, something whacks you. Might be a shark, might be a guy running a red light, or the whacko in the parking lot. You got to live your life, calculate your risks, and move forward. I've had many more friends killed in combat, or adventure sports, or at work, or on bikes (motor and bicycles), or un-suspected health issues than have been killed or bitten by a shark (1). I know of at least 6 guys that just keeled over and died in moderate surf. Move forward, if it bothers you more than it pleases you don't do it. For the record, I wouldn't swim in Oregon or many places in Nor-Cal, but it could be the juvenile bull shark in Florida that happens to catch you in the crotch that gets you.

7. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    I always figure the "other guy" will be attacked, not me. Peace of mind through delusion. LOL.

DanSan likes this.
  8. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Dawnpatrol, where are you a fan of in Oregon? Always looking to try new spots.

Being on the beach in Encinitas when the last attack happened, I tend to think about it a bit more now, but yeah it can't stop you. It's funny we don't think about the other dangers often, like driving to the beach.

9. sonOsea

sonOsea Active Member

Apr 6, 2010
    USA
    Cheers Tom and thanks!

Ticowannabe likes this.