Skip Frye - What's all the fuss about?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by michael, Aug 30, 2018.

1. michael

michael Active Member

Apr 19, 2017
    NJ
    At risk of exposing my green horn here... anyone care to explain what all the fuss is surrounding Skip Frye's boards?

306Bing likes this.
  2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    LOL. IMO there's no rationale explanation for this other than it's a cult. Let the sh..storm begin!

3. Freddibetts

Freddibetts Active Member

May 7, 2015
    USA New York
    The way i understand it, like an andreini , tyler , or other MasterShapers - you pay for their experience and skill set as a shaper who consistently churns out solid boards. Once they hit a certain level they are able to manipulate the market to their advantage. Nothing wrong with it IMO, they worked hard for it and its their source of income.

4. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Of course. But I will always consider the overpriced, yellowed/browned, delamed, trash can worthy Fryes, cult lust w/ no logical explanation.

5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Gotta admit though there’s something special about a Diffenderfer gun. I do buy into the cult status of some. It’s a legit question.

6. JBorbone

JBorbone Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Belmar, NJ
    I see both sides.

a) I definitely feel as though Frye boards are valued appropriately.

b) I also don't think that they're any better or more special than handshapes of other Masters... A Mitsven, Hank Warner, Tyler, old Terry Martin, or any other craftsman of that caliber should (IMO) be valued just as high as a Frye.

It pains me to see used boards by these legends for sale in the 2nd hand market for less than the cost of the raw materials. Skips boards (among a few others like Greg N and Gerry L) are of the select few that retain the value they deserve. A surfboard that took ~50 hours to create (between shaping, glassing, and transit) and cost north of $400-$500 in raw materials should be valued appropriately. That's like a car being valued lower than what a scrap metal yard will give you, which is ALMOST never the case.

A surfboard is worth what the market is willing to pay. Just like cars. A Ferrari 250 GTO doesn't perform nearly as well as a modern sports car, so why do they sell for >$20Million?? You're paying for legacy, nostalgia and prestige.

7. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    That for sure! And I've seen "under the porch" Diffs on 3 different HI islands. Brown, delamed, twisted and rotted. Sad but in no way were they worth anything to me. And back thenthe two Diffs I got custom, rode & broke & repaired until they too ended up "under the porch" ( you have to know a cane house to know the stuff under there) were two of the best boards I ever had. But no need to lament, I just had Marc Andreini make me a Gyro. CC makes the Invisible Policeman. Diffs but BETTER than the originals.
    Why? Blanks, materials and 50 years of design forward thinking, but with an understanding by the present day builder to see the genius of MD designs. I was always a Diff guy, not a Brewer guy. End of rant, I'm rusting.

ElBrooklyn, Surfertom and JMJackFish like this.
  8. shadydave

shadydave Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2014
    Ayer Ma USA
    upload_2018-8-30_12-18-7.jpeg
    I think I will keep my old board around as it just happens to be a great rider.

9. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    I've noticed a lot of fryes with delams/delam repairs. Is this from people leaving them in the heat? Soft foam? Poor bond of the glass to foam? too much knee paddling?

Guys like skip simply charge what people are willing to pay. Good for them. Should be every business owner's goal if quality is the driving force.

DKNJ and shadydave like this.
  10. Veterano

Aug 29, 2013
    Only hang that craft on a 5' blue wall, not on a man cave wall! Riders Not Gawkers! ( bumper sticker? )