single fin shortboarding...

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
  2. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Wow cool I thought I was the only one who was tired of seeing the triple pump!

3. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    That Maldives comp is always rad. Mixed bag of craft and surfers on one of the most picture perfect waves. One year Curren was in it, his single fun surfing was...well as you can imagine.
    This one your son shared was tops. Fred P is just an unreal surfer, Josk Kerr as well. Now what exactly was that red channel bottom single?
    Thank your son for us!

4. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hamilton, Massachusetts
    Oh, yeah!!! That was good!

5. JMJackFish

JMJackFish Active Member

Jul 5, 2016
    USA North Carolina
    Best video for me in a while - thanks!!!

6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    yea, that red board...couple years back, surfing fall SF OB in pretty much perfect OH conditions, some guy was busting warp speeds on a Dave Parmenter single fin 6 channel I got a close look at later on the beach...not sure anybody makes a better single fin rocket then Parmenter

7. MJB

MJB Member

Aug 13, 2013
    SD
    Nice. We might see more of this if contests would rank on smoothness.

8. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Video - 10/10
    Surf - 10/10
    Freddie P - 10/10... totally forgot about him!
    Music reminded of a reject Bud Dry commercial sound track - I think it was the "why ask why"...

Reminded me of Russ Short video in Mexico.

DJR and JMJackFish like this.
  9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
  10. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    So I gotta say - I'm a huge proponent on channels, but only when it's done correctly. Parmenter has it down, specially with the single fin and 2+1 set up. While Byrne really had it perfected on the thruster. You'll notice that Byrnes channels usually are longer- starting at the center of the board. All 6-channels/parallel.

I noticed that Red board- its sweet! I just had a similar board shaped last fall- but with the option of side bites. I had even emailed Dave P to ask some design questions, really a nice guy and lots of in depth info. As far as my board-I really love it at a single fin but it's also a lot of fun with smaller side bits in bigger/ steeper waves. Probably my favorite (6ft range) board to date...I also had a Byrne and an Ashton 6-channel thruster... they are hard to come by...

But the channels add an insane amount of speed- it almost... actually it does make the board feel like you have no top end speed limit. I remember times on my Byrne that I felt like I couldn't slow down (that was ng lol) and it almost feels like your riding on air since it produces lift.

The thing I noticed about a single fin with 6channles is that the channels almost act like a thruster- gaining speed through turns- but there is no drag, which is produced by the cant / toe in of the side fins. So with the single it just seems to go faster and faster. Apparently pin tails /channels work better as a single fin. While swallow tails work better as thruster???

Anyways- if your curious I would suggest keeping an eye out for one! Just stick to the designs of Parmenter! There's also a place out of Australia that makes nice ones too

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    Planktom and Surfnfish like this.