Shipping 9’8 Log Cross-Country (St. Augustine > Ventura) (Question)

Discussion in 'Longboard Surf Buy/Sell/Trade' started by KDenning, Aug 3, 2018.

1. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    Hey all!

Got a quote to ship my beloved Mayo from St. Augustine, FL to Ventura, CA via Surf Station for $325.

My question is how realistic is that price and could anyone on here help me out?

For $325 I’ll just pick up a new log out west (not the worst thing in the world haha) but if anyone on here could lend a hand or input about that price I’d appreciate it!!

2. Wade In The Waves

Wade In The Waves Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA North Carolina
    Unless you Amtrack it, prices are insane. I would just buy a board when you get there or pay the airline fee. Either would be cheaper.

3. shawnzee

shawnzee Active Member

Mar 4, 2015
    noco, sd
    amtrak works fine if you pack it up good.
    mcquad and i packed a very nice longboard into a nice travel bag and shipped it from ca to fla and it arrived in perfect condition. $100ish bucks if i recall

4. McQuad

McQuad Active Member

Dec 30, 2016
    Fernandina beach
    Yup. Worked like a champ. Jax to union station. Easy for $100~

5. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    Florida to Oregon was $85 on Amtrak for a 10' board. Easy, cheap, less than a week to get here. Not sure how much seller spent at UPS to pack it up, but it was packed really well.

Lots of board options in California too.

6. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone! I’m unfamiliar with Amtrak and a quick google clouded what I thought I knew. Hypothetically if I had the board packages to be shipped by a shop in St Augustine, how would I go about getting it from St Augustine, FL to Ventura, CA?

7. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Send it on an uber?

8. takedown

takedown Active Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    You need to call the stations near your home and verify that they'll take a package that big. Once you verify you show up at the station, fill out some forms and send it on it's way. Bring tape because they are supposed to ask you to open the box to inspect for damage if you take insurance. They had people shipping broken boards and making claims so now Amtrak is supposed to require inspection.

I have heard that anything south of LA Union Station won't except boards bigger than I think 8'. Ventura is north of Union Station, but I would double check that the receiving station will allow a 10' box. You could always pick it up at Union Station if you can't get it closer.

9. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    totally agree with last post from takedown. I did send and receive boards using amtrack. I like it. Cheap, reliable, they didn't fuck them up. But not all stations can do it. And some of them have restrictions( the lazyness factor of the employee who "can't handle big packages") there's always a personal factor involved.
    Last trip I did to San Diego, I brought back two logs, both in one surfbag, all packed with cardboard and pipe insulation foam all around the rails, and it was $ 150 for both flying with American.
    Dont even try with Spirit. Those fuckers barely know how to fly a plane. They have no clue what they are doing.

10. KDenning

KDenning Member

May 14, 2015
    After being out in Ventura for a while, I've decided I want to get my log out here without a doubt.
    Here's the situation:
    Board is in St. Augustine, FL
    I'm willing to pay for someone's time to box the board up and get it to an Amtrak to LA!
    If anyone is interested let me know! I'm thinking $100 + packing materials should make someone's time worth it??