Secret Spots

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Feb 7, 2019.

1. kpd73

kpd73 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2013
    USA Rhode Island
    I'm not knocking the photo snap, and did laugh at the map pin- point taken- but I'm talking a black sharpie baby dot, now, I should have clarified that when I showed up to many spots in Nova Scotia first light, at the right time and tide, as well as swell/wind direction, Alone, and never breaking out any kind of device, I made friends pretty quickly.
    Etiquette and a Mach7 Pavel bonzer helped things along too.
    I honestly do wish I had a pic of one or two of those days...but do have a good one of a Spa day - one of many- I would take at a killer Mom and Pop owned campsite there.
    Most fulfilling in every facet of Life, stoke filled Adventure of my earthly journey.
    I went up there with no knowledge of any spots, just my map and forecasting knowledge, and everything I own in that Van.
    If you live and surf on the East Coast, you owe it to yourself to hit Nova Scotia.

Nova Scotia spa day.jpg

Surfnfish likes this.
  2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    davey likes this.
  3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Devils Lake, Oregon Coast
    the best of secret spots tend to be reliable reefs, simply because sandbars come and go. Up here in Oregon it's a lot less about protecting secret spots and a lot more about finding a newly formed sandbar and keep absolutely mum about it.

my favorite moment illustrating this...me and Matty are changing into our wetuits where a newly formed left hander is peeling from the outside into the rivermouth itself when his phone rings, one of his best friends calling..."No man, been looking, haven't seen anything worth a paddle out...uh, uh, I'll call you if I see anything"....hangs up, looks over at me, shrugs, and continues to put on his wetsuit...lol

Chilly Willy likes this.
  4. Couch

Couch Active Member

Mar 18, 2018
    Santa Barbara
    My "secret spot" is actually just surfing the extreme inside section at my point. Most of the traffic and or buoys perch off the point or the reform section middle peak....when I don't feel like paddling, tired or just want to switch it up....I take my 8' 88 softie out and have a fricken blast! Sometimes remembering the joy of just riding waves- not the biggest or the best but just because that is what you love to do...puts a big smile on my face.

Couch

dingdong likes this.
  5. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    PNW
    Loose lips sink ships. I've always abided by my mantra: Seek and ye shall find.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019