School me, please: late 60s / early 70s

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    @garagefull: Wow, great work. You guys sure are handy. I will have to step up my game!

@Veterano: Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. If I am super stoked by the ride and really wanted to do some fine tuning in the fin department, I figure I can always consider getting a Vaquero, which is probably more refined in all the right areas anyway.

I've got my fingers crossed for a session on it this week, mid-week probably. Although, the tides may not be agreeable so we'll see.

2. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    They were some funky boards built in the transition era. But if you get a good one, it might open the door to new experiences. A buddy bought a transition Petrillo, just for fun and because he had a Petrillo as a kid. When he showed it to me, I said "that's a hull". He rode it a few times and liked it, so I loaned him one of my modern hulls. He got hooked and bought a modern Liddle, which he probably rides more than anything else he owns. The old Petrillo doesn't get much use, but it served as the key to getting into hull riding. Consider yourself warned!

3. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island

Flock, I drooled on my iPad grom- specfuckintacular!!!!!!!

4. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Btw, all me boards prefer to stay wet, and I prefer to keep them happy- any jammers ever wanna play with some trannies, let me know. They're meant to be used heavily, not preseved.

Look just as good on a wall broken, so what's the point

Largoazul and Chilly Willy like this.
  5. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I always say; "Wall hanger? Hang it on a 6' foot wall, see how it goes."

6. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    So, I finally(!) got around to taking this board out -- the original Jacobs at the start of the thread. I surfed it during one short session many years ago and wasn't really able to get it under control. I hung it in my rafters for (embarrassingly enough) several years until I got around to bringing it to my ding guy to patch everything up this past June.

About 5 years after my first run, I finally waxed 'er up and gave it another try. Very cool! Paddling and taking off felt good and very easy. Having more midlength experience, it was a lot easier to ride than last time. In fact, I had ridden a [much thinner and knifier] v.Bowls of the same length the day before at the same spot and in very similar conditions, so it was easy to compare and contrast the two. My first impression was that the Jacobs felt akin to pushing a shopping cart backwards from the end with the rotating wheels -- the tail seemed to almost rotate around the nose, in a very vague sense. (The v.Bowls, to me, feels like the opposite. Which makes a lot of sense since the templates are almost identical but flipped backwards.) The fin flexed more than I've ever felt, almost wagging with each turn. I could understand a lot of what @Veterano was saying when I felt this. Too flexible, really. That could also explain why it felt like it was sliding a bit in the tail instead of biting and projecting. That, and I also think I need to get a bit more rail into my turns on it. I paddled way out and got a few of the bigger rolling set waves that were close to head high with some umph behind them. I felt a bit out of control, but my buddies on the beach seemed to think it looked pretty good. I was aware of the idea of keeping a narrow stance and riding from the middle, but I just don't think I quite put that awareness into practice and rode it a bit too far back.

All in all, I had a few nice moments, but I only had it out for a short hour. I'm not even close to having it dialed in, but it was very intriguing and has had me thinking about it all day. I'm eager to give it another go, maybe once all the Jose swell simmers down and cleans up later next week.

7. Jook

Jook Member

May 6, 2005
    USA
    Found one of these in the trash... Hobie Eastern Star... Bunch of dings that haven't been repaired yet.
    IMG_0634.JPG IMG_0639.JPG

8. dingpatch

dingpatch Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    USA Florida
    Yes, just about every single early "flex" fin had way too much flex. But what did we know, or care? We were pushing the envelope on the cutting edge. My current take is that if you are holding the fin in your hand and you can easily flex it with your hands, it has too much flex. I try to put some flex into some of my fins and, of course, everybody tries to bend it in their hands. Nope, not much. As much as an accomplished surfer they may be, it seems that they have no idea of the amount of force you put to a fin during a hard bottom turn.

9. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Nice Chilly!!!
    Def play with a dif fin - will make it a whole new beast with claws.
    Juan @ one world, if he's still doing it, has the templates and can mix/ match to your pleasure- including cloth, etc....

Totally agree with the too much flex, usually compounded by deterioration of the plastics.....

Stoked for ya!!

10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Juan is still making fin reproductions for Wave Set and Wonder Bolt bases. He made me one for my CON a few months ago using a template I sent him. Pretty expensive but quality. I don't believe he makes fins for modern FU boxes or does any flex foiling at all. At One World Surf.