School me, please: late 60s / early 70s

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    That's a really interesting take on that. I will probably keep it original, mostly because I'd want to get an understanding of the original before changing anything and would probably want to pass on an original to the next owner. But I can appreciate that, and it's maybe something to think about if there is any kind of tragic damage to the fin or box.

Did Greenough use volan for his fins? What's the specific material used for non volan fins? I never really thought about it before outside of differentiating between "regular fin" vs "volan fin".

2. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    No! I had a late gig last night and a Mets game scheduled for today, so unfortunately not enough time to get in this morning. Maybe sometime this week though.

3. Largoazul

Largoazul New Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine

4. Largoazul

Largoazul New Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    Nice boards and thread. Especially love that soul creation @pefa. Transitional boards are my favorites. Here's a board I picked up not too long ago. It's a Robbie dick 1968 s deck before natural progression. Made in topanga canyon.

Attached Files:

pefa and SeniorGrom like this.
  5. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey

What legnth?

6. Largoazul

Largoazul New Member

Mar 9, 2017
    Maine
    It's 6'9". Robbie told me the star on the deck was hand painted by one of his friends at the time. Here's some more pics.

Attached Files:

pefa likes this.
  7. Chilly Willy

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    Beautiful, SG. Maybe what someone needs to invent is a WaveSet/Bahne adapter so you can plug modern fins into WaveSet boxes. Although, maybe the WaveSet box is a little too shallow on the rear side?

8. garagefull

garagefull Member

Feb 22, 2004
    As others have said, 1969 is about right. I bought a very similar board that year. Comparisons to Vaquero is valid. Take a look at a modern Liddle and you will see where that design evolved from. One major difference I have noticed in the vintage transition era hull boards is that the tails were much thicker than a modern hull. That's just one area where Liddle, Andreini and others have refined the design. The original Polycarbonate Waveset fins weren't great as they have a soft flex, not a nice snappy flex like a Volan fin. Plus the original fin is probably brittle by now. It's valuable to a collector but not good for a rider. And yes, the Waveset box is too shallow at the rear to put in a Bahne box as an insert. A friend had a similar vintage hull and I made this fin to fit the Waveset box. It's a L Flex set as far forward as possible to get the hull sensation.

Attached Files:

Chilly Willy and Largoazul like this.
  9. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Nice work garagefull. I hope to be working on similar ones soon.

10. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Nice work. When I mentioned replacing the WS box with a Bahne, I was never referring to "dropping it in" the orig. space. You are entirely right on everything in your post. BUT, you can fill/redo the whole area after removing the WS box with various materials and THEN install the Bahne. I'd rather take that avenue rather than laying up/etc. a new fin. But that's just me. I watched/followed/monitored a fill/redo-do that worked out just fine and I'd tackle that rather than the new fin. But I do not have the skills & equipment you you have (as shown in your photo). I do not place the value that many place on a board like this. Trying to preserve the orig. integrity does not matter to me. They did not ride that good compared to the same type of board being made today by Andreini, Hilbers, etc. It's just a frame grab of design evolution that zipped by when it was close to quickly realized it needed to be changed up. I say send it to the skunkworks and make it work better. My choice. Good thread.

pefa and Chilly Willy like this.