School me, please: late 60s / early 70s

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    IMG_3299.JPG Some too much, some degrade big time....
    every time I look at the nuuhiwa in particular, I think of one of cuda's vaq's up da road

2. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Btw, arn redid that ass splendidly!!

3. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    @pefa - Great information. I like the vibe that you painted with the overall era. The fin flexes a little, although I didn't test it too much. I figure if I break it, it'd better be because of a sweet bottom turn.

@SeniorGrom - I noticed the same thing about the Hobie Silver Bullet. I had a chance to buy one from my old boss, but I figured I already had a pretty similar shape waiting for me in my shed.

@Veterano - Funny about the Vaquero, I thought it seemed pretty hully. Interestingly, the template is also almost exactly opposite to my v.Bowls with this round tail being the VB's nose and the pointed nose as the VB's round pin. What was crap about the fins -- the shape itself or construction/durability?

@jdogger - I'll have to double check, but I'm pretty sure I remember this one having a really flat bottom near the tail, too.

pefa likes this.
  4. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    CW, There's a reason good single fins that are intended to flex have been made from the same materials that Greenough used. The reason is how they work. Don't misunderstand my posts (like 90% of the people here). I think your board is certainly a good score. But don't swoon over the fin because it was orig. equipment. If that board was mine, I install a Bahne box and run through the wonderful variety of volon fins that are available in retail/other sources today. Like a hot rod. Make it GO better.
    As always, just my opinion.

Chilly Willy, MrChristmas and pefa like this.
  5. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Right on Vet. I'd love to pick your brain more some day- lots to learn.

To elaborate, HUGE difference between flex and bend.

all about Purpose

6. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    This morning would have perfect test drive conditions. Hope you got it out there.

Chilly Willy likes this.
  7. poidog

poidog Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Yes.

The length and planshape are pretty damn close to my first board, a backyard beater purchased in '72 with funds raised from selling Erlenmeyer flasks me and a buddy stole from chemistry class and converted into bongs. Bongs and board worked magnificently. Always been a source of odd, undeserved pride for me to see the planshape hold up over the years, come back into vogue for those who forgot or never knew about it.

Postscript: I happened to mention this board to a buddy of mine who owns a surfshop in OC MD. He asked me to describe it. I said, "Oh, you know, your basic Gerry Lopez/Barry Kanaiapuni/Rory Russell knockoff. Cheesy yellow lighting bolt on the bottom." He asked about the length. "Never measured it, but I'd say 7'6"ish." Color. "Red. Blood red." Rails. "Boxy." Nose. "Beaked." Fin. "Glassed in, but I snapped it and when my buddy and I glassed it back in we were stoned and set it at an angle." He asked about the angle. "To the left when looking at it bottom up." He said he thought he might have it, some guy traded it in years ago, we looked through a pile of boards in his basement but couldn't find it.

Anyone come across a board that fits this description please let me know. I'll pay cash. Throw in a Shih Tzu, a 2007 Toyota Corolla and my mom.

pefa likes this.
  8. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey

I have made some fins to fit older boxes. The intent was to improve performance. For the most part those plastic lexan fins didn't work so well. It's cool to have them in decent condition but a glass fin with the right template and correctly foiled is an improvement.

9. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Ooooh la la...... whatcha got grom?
    Post some eye candy- everything I've seen of yours is spectacular

10. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    10 foot Bahne NoseRider needed to get rid of the super flexy lexan original. There were no options because of the low production numbers on the original Bahne Box. Bill Bahne then invented the box we still use today. Made my buddy this Miss Lucy template and assembled/hand fitted to the old box. Both fins can be used and the old box didn't need to be cut out and replaced. Many Hours.

Attached Files:

Chilly Willy likes this.