School me, please: late 60s / early 70s

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Chilly Willy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I bought this old 7'4" Jacobs from my neighbor several years ago. After a few years, I finally got around to bringing this over to my ding guy for repair. Now that she's finally seaworthy, I'm waiting for a decent swell. In meantime, I'd love to hear some story about these kinds of boards. I'm thinking late 60s, early 70s and I seem to know that it's generally a stepping stone in the shortboard revolution. It's got an S-deck and WAVE Set fin. It feels chunky, yet the rails feel refined, when under the arm. All the local old timers that I've talked to about it say, "Ooh, you'll have fun on that!"

What say you? Anything would be cool - board information, ride tips, historical anecdotes, etc.

61098CC1-08E3-4799-B94D-BDECB12BEEC5.jpg

IMG_4901.JPG

pefa likes this.
  2. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Just having that fin is worth it. You got the time period right. The WaveSet box narrows the time frame when the board was made. I say '69-'70. Some here on the forum know more about dating the board. Similar to the Weber SKI, Hobie Silver Bullet, G&S Magic, and more.

Chilly Willy likes this.
  3. soul_glide

soul_glide Member

Jan 1, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    Chilly Willy likes this.
  4. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    That is a score! A decent swell will make that come alive. That fin is sweet, too.

Friend of mine has a slightly older 8 ft Jacobs yard sale find ($25) that we rescued from a windsurf conversion attempt. We put a modern fin box in it and it is his favorite board. It finds and loves the pocket.

Enjoy the swoop!

Chilly Willy likes this.
  5. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    IMG_3292.JPG I ❤️ Trannies

Great community of trannies out there- go both ways, like juice and midsize waves, just don't like any chop (but that's just prob my shortfallings), very sensitive that way. HUGE variation in belly/hull/rails/orange sunshine ingestion/ brotherhood of eternal light connections. JP & Nuuhiwa look similar on initial appearances/pic, but keep in mind the trannie concept and what was going on in that realm - totally different beasts underneath- SO much going on in that time period impossible to put a single label on design. Highly recommend listening to nobody and play with fins and find what FEELS best for you. I have some different sizes/flex/ variset inserts you can borrow

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    Chilly Willy likes this.
  6. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Also, keep eternal eyes out for those misty Doyle waveset's that have modified short base and multiple holes drilled in for variable placement- a few kicking around in a couple of different speed templates like the one you have. Does yours flex a lot? Keep fin out of sun. SCORE brotherman!!!

Chilly Willy likes this.
  7. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    IMG_3293.JPG Context- one of my favorite all time pics.

Skunkworks had nothing on these cats. On a mildly related side note, check out 'chasing the lotus'.....

bonzer and Chilly Willy like this.
  8. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Early '70s. Hap had most likely already left the building. I could not tell you who was shaping then as I had also already left. That plan shape holds up. Worked then and works now.
    Widen the tail a bit, change the rocker, foil, materials, etc. and you have a Vaquero. IMO, those fins were crap.

9. pefa

pefa Active Member

Mar 14, 2008
    G-sett Rhode Island
    Ditto what vet said about fin quality.... I'm sure he's forgotten more than I know.
    1 is none, 2 is 1- def have spares or good remakes. Don't think Erwin is making them anymore, Juan @ oneworld does real glass and has all the og templates, and, in my opinion, nostalgia and provenance aside, I prefer a more refined over time fin and customize onto waveset base as way to go- he'll or others can make modern template of choice measured cherry to fit into waveset box

10. jdogger

jdogger Member

Apr 4, 2006
    USA California
    I got a 7'6" Rick Dru Harrison Roundtail in December of 1968 with a very similar outline. The Rick had an s deck and then down super hard in the tail. The bottom in the tail area was flat as a pancake. Looking at the Vaquero that I have now, I see a lot of similarity. The Waveset G&S high performance fin was so flexy throughout that you could flex it almost to about 60 degrees. I have a couple of old Polaroids and I'll see if I can post them up.