Sayulita next week questions

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cheyneskeezer, Jan 23, 2018.

1. cheyneskeezer

cheyneskeezer Well-Known Member

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    so looking at what little surf cams there are and YouTube’s doesn’t seem sayulita is anything to write Home about. But still bringing a board. We have a house on the beach rented all next week it’s my first time. I was thinking about bringing my hot generation as anything shorter I feel I risk not having enough foam. Any other drivable spots? Prob just surf in sayulita cause I got the fam with me. Anyone offer any glimmer of hope for some fun lefts? Seems the better surf is south around the point. Also any surf cam links would be nice as well just found the sayulita.com one.

F0C90E12-0529-42BA-8B6A-0E96A979CA59.jpeg

2. Tmw

Tmw Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Sayulita can be logger’s heaven, but I think winter is the wrong season (although the weather will likely be gorgeous).

I did a week there a few summers back, so I’m by no means an expert but I think you can score fun longboard waves (I had a log & a mini Simmons & never regretting not having a short board). The MSW forecast shows some promise.

I found the main break at Sayulita to be less consistent than other waves in the area. Off the top of my head I remember Anclote (panga from Punta De Mita) & Burros (car access) both being really fun right points.

We trekked up to Matachen Bay & it was flat but scored a deserted left hander on the way back (think it had a sharky reputation).

If you have the week, I would rent a car or research a guide (or ask at one of the local shops). Lots of good waves in close proximity & the main point is a circus (at least of 4th of July).

Buena suerte!

3. Mango Bill

Mango Bill Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2006
    USA California
  4. cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    Thanks guys ! Maybe I’ll have to lug my SOS down there!

5. Macilious

Macilious Active Member

Jun 15, 2010
    I'm no expert. But a couple tips from trips...
    There are a lot of rentals there.
    Check the water quality.
    Bring Cipro.
    Go to Don Julio's 2nd floor - railing for drinks/dinner if you can.
    Sayulita is a circus in and out of the water. Punta Mita and San Pancho (San Francisco on the map) are nice distractions.
    Have a blast - it's a great place - fun waves.

6. Tenfooter

Tenfooter Active Member

Nov 12, 2014
    USA Rhode Island
    give me a call if you need any more advise

7. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    Let me know how your trip goes, I'm actually going for the first time at the end of February, I'm also goofy, so looking for lefts! Was thinking about bringing my ASQ, figured I would just rent a log (don't really want to travel with one).

8. LB LIZARD

LB LIZARD Member

Mar 22, 2007
    USA California
    Mexilogfest now held in S-a-l-a-d-i-t-a. If you like going left? Moved to there because of Sayulita was not consistent. Trancones just down the road with good eats. CJ Nelson along with others have places to rent. Just a thought. If CJ is there, he will surf everyday with you. Of course, he’s in the water very early 3032F0AC-ED5F-49C7-8923-3A7E36C2C8FC.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  9. cheyneskeezer

May 30, 2017
    Long Beach CA
    Different sayulita ! I wish

10. Speak

Speak Member

Jul 17, 2012
    USA California
    I have the option to do either Ixtapa/Zihuatanejo or Puerto Vallarta. Is Saladita worth going a little further for? Looks like there a few good breaks in Punta Mita like La Lancha.