Santa Barbara in March - Where to stay?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by NJ Longboarder, Dec 7, 2018.

1. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Thanks for all the tips and info guys. The Santa Barbara drags are this Fri/Sat. If you are into old cars it will be a good time.

We are flying out today and staying in Ventura Wed/Thurs and Santa Barbara Hilton Fri/Sat/Sun. If anyone wants to meet up for a surf or food/drink, drop me a PM. Not bringing boards with us, just plan to pick up rentals if/when there are waves.

Look for the kook from NJ squeeking away on a wavestorm.

Lackosense likes this.
  2. sk8thom

sk8thom Active Member

Jul 10, 2007
    USA California
    Rain is really coming down in Ventura now, expect any waves to look like chocolate milk for awhile.

3. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Looking forward tot he event. Rain should part, but the water will surely be chocolate milk.

4. NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
    Twas a great weekend. Will post more when I have a moment. Trying to catch back up at work.

5. NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
    Here is a quick recap of my trip. Had an amazing time, got some decent waves, good food/drink and spent some time with great people.

Land Wednesday night. Hit some traffic on way but get to Ventura. traffic.JPG

Got a nice and clean 2 bedroom condo on VRBO. If anyone needs a place to crash in Ventura, check out https://www.vrbo.com/1361432 Good location, good host and I would stay there again.

Wake up Thursday morning, check the surf then run down to borrow boards from Gene. Gene is an awesome fella and lent us one of his 8.5ft vee bottoms and and vintage liddle. Head back up to Ventura and surf the point in dirty brown water from the rain. Surf wasn't the best but uncrowded. Boards worked great.
    ventura.JPG

Rinse off and then meet up with Gene at his shop to check out some boards. His stuff is amazing. Wish I was a better photographer. Will try and take better photos of the abstract board when I get it.
    vee.JPG
    pinlines.JPG
    gene.JPG

From the shop its off to dinner and to see Lance Carson's band. Good times at a brewery and thank you to Gene for the eats.
    lance.JPG

Jenga Gene
    jenga.JPG

Friday, surf in Ventura was flat so we ran down to Malibu. Small waves but even smaller crowds. Got some good ones.
    malibu.JPG

Rush back to Ventura and pack to head to Santa Barbara for the drag races. Stay at the Hilton and get a perfect room with first floor balcony in the middle of the action. Drag races all day and bands/party at night. Little cold outside so most of the action was in the lobby Fri/Sat nights. Was "explained" a number of rules I can't even believe exist (can't bring that glass over here, not allowed to cut thru there, no smoking outside anywhere in the city, where are your pants?, etc.). Not allowed to have any real fun in Santa Barbara. Cars and people were great.

custom.JPG
    drag.JPG

Reached my limit with photos in one post. To be continued..........

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  6. NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
    Back to the drags/cars.
    drags.JPG
    32 3w.JPG
    32.JPG

33.JPG

pits.JPG

Had a beer with the AMBR 2016 winning car. Fit/finish/details on this car are perfect.
    ambr16.JPG

Fun times Saturday night, but no photos. Probably a good thing.

Sunday morning they clean up right away.
    cleanup.JPG

Cars left their marks on the street.
    marks.JPG

We head down to Rincon to check it out. Here is where I must give a HUGE thank you to Rinconryder on the forum. He doesn't know me, I don't know him but he hooked us up huge. He was supposed to be in town during our trip but couldn't be around. He gave me detailed step by step instructions including photos on how to get to boards at his house. An amazing guy at an amazing spot. Hope to be back and meet up with you in person Wes. I owe you big time. I also want to meet your neighbor across the street. His garage door was open and his racks are very impressive.

Rincon was supposed to be flat and there was some type of surf contest/benefit on the inside. We head up to the point and surf perfect (for east coast standards) peeling waves. Set waves had some size too. Sorry, no photos of the point as I was to busy surfing.
    rincon (2).JPG

Return boards to rinconryder's pad and head back to Santa Barbara. Decide to head up the hills to take in the views. Nice drive up and down the hill into the clouds.

hill.JPG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
  7. NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
    hill (2).JPG

Finish off the night with dinner near the pier and walking around. Packed up and headed home that Monday. Had a great time and hope to do it all again.
    hotel.JPG pier.JPG

Again, thanks for everyone for the tips and huge thank you to Gene and Wes for everything. If anyone comes to Jersey and needs some gear, let me know. I got you covered.

8. deemce

deemce Well-Known Member

May 18, 2010
    USA Pennsylvania
    World class post.

9. T-Bone

T-Bone Active Member

Sounds like a Great full trip and a little help from some friends! Made for a Great read!