Santa Barbara in March - Where to stay?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by NJ Longboarder, Dec 7, 2018.

1. NJ Longboarder

NJ Longboarder Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2005
  2. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Not much surf in March, but hopefully I’ll be able to link up with you at some point over the weekend.

There should plenty of relatively affordable places to stay due to it being the off-season. The Kipton Canary Hotel is pretty nice, centrally located near the heart of State Street, and pretty close to the venue. Either which way you cut it you’ll likely be looking at around $100 a night.

Will you be trailering a car? That could make things a little difficult.

3. joeblackuz

joeblackuz Active Member

Apr 15, 2005
    If you like mexican food hit up lilis tacos and la super rica. Both only take cash but are wonderful.

4. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    That looks like a fantastic event! Never heard of it. At Supercar Sunday in the valley a couple of months ago, it was a hot rod show, and there were a bunch of dry lake racers with their flatheads, and a belly tank racer like the one shown in the photos. Are you bringing a car? You're obviously going to the NJ events.

5. NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
    Thanks for the recommendations and PMs. I appreciate it. Not bringing a car out for this one. It's too pricey to ship cars back and forth. Will be racing in Wildwood, NJ event in October.

Checked out the Kipton Canary website and prices were similar to the Hilton right at the event. Probably just going to get a room at the Hilton. Might make add a few days to the trip and get some surfing in.

Love Mexican food and cash is king. Will try to hit them up when I am out there.

6. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

Been a while since we stayed there (and it sounds like you're taken care of), but definitely hit La Super Rica (order anything, all brilliance). If the Santa Barbara Bowl has any music you like, it's a magnificent venue. And, you may luck out on swell. Late winter norths/spring wests still hit SB and/or surrounding areas in March.

7. NJ Longboarder

Jan 3, 2005
    Trip is booked Wed 3/6 thru Mon 3/10. Staying at Santa Barbara Hilton for the weekend but figuring out Wed/Thurs nights. Probably staying in Ventura area.

Time to start checking out craigslist or local shops for boards. Any shops have decent rentals? I assume it is 3/2 weather. No boots or gloves hopefully.

If anyone is into old cars and drag racing, the event will be a great time. Lots of nice cars are being accepted and will be nice seeing them put to work. Looks like it will be mostly 30s fords with all different engine combos. Some overhead valve stuff so it won't just be slow flatheads even though they are a blast too.

Artz likes this.
  8. Rinconryder

Rinconryder Member

Nov 30, 2015
  9. KWC

KWC New Member

Feb 11, 2019
    Los Angeles
    I very rarely travel further north than C Street, but my guess is that as an East Coaster you’ll be fine in a 3/2 (I went my first two years here with only a 3/2). You may be a bit chilly in the early mornings, but you’ll live. Definitely no gloves needed. I would bring boots just in case. The rocks can really bang up your toes when it’s cold.

10. dacoach

dacoach Member

Jun 24, 2007
    USA California
    wife and I stay annually at the Cabrillo Inn, clean resemble