Ryan Lovelace V-Bowls

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by whale, May 5, 2012.

1. whale

whale New Member

Apr 16, 2007
    USA
    Interested in an 8' V-Bowls. Two questions:

1) Can anyone provide a ride report?

2) How would it/displacement Hull work in East Coast beach break? Is that a no-no?

2. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    I haven't ridden one of ryan's boards but have ridden hulls here on the east coast. From my experience they are not good for beach break, they do however love their point breaks! The key is finding a spot where you can trim and mellow out, and doesn't have a real steep drop that you need to them project down the line fast. Greg Eavey makes a lot of hulls in Wilmington, NC so i am sure he knows of places/ makes his boards to work in those conditions

3. OldSkool

OldSkool Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Eavey is building me a more user friendly hull right now!

4. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Never ridden a d-bowls but would love to hear reports back. He's a talented lad that Lovelace. I've ridden a bunch of his hulls and they tend towards the thin and bladed.

I ride hulls 90% of the time (super bladed out Liddle Pointbreakers mostly) and have had nothing but fun on them even in steep, hollow beachbreak. Or swampy slabs full of kelp. They aren't so much fun if you're riding closeouts and just looking to bash a lip or float a section real quick, but if you've got enough time to bend one good bottom turn and project out and up, they are a blast. In fact, a good hull that can go fast is more fun at a zippy beachbreak than it is at a slow pointbreak where you have to keep cutting back and stalling to stay in the curl. Some of them do take a little getting used to with a super small sweet spot for doing the joyous turns that make hulls so fun, but it's nothing a couple dozen waves won't fix.

If you don't want to play the turn finesse game, get a hull with training wheels like an Andreini or Bojorquez that has a little more volume in the tail so you can backfoot it a bit more. If your beachbreak tends towards the mushy, the extra volume in these boards won't hurt either when it comes time to glide over crumbles.

At risk of BBQing a sacred cow some bloggers raised from a calf, I'm gonna say that whole "hulls only work at pointbreaks... blah blah... hard to ride... blah blah... don't work backside... blah blah" thing is hooey. EVERY board works better on a 400 yard long, lined up wave. Every board is harder to ride backside. A chippy thruster is three times harder to ride than even the most gnarly hull with rails so thin and sharp you can slice avocados with them.

5. northbeachboy

northbeachboy Member

Aug 16, 2004
    USA California
    Get in-touch with Soul_Glide...he's got one and he's in NJ...

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Get an Andreini Vaquero. Tell Marc what waves you ride.
    Why get one from a guy with very limited experience and whose boards tend to the extreme?

7. ted

ted Member

Aug 25, 2008
    USA California
    icecreamheadache wrote:
    Nicely said from a goofy foot Hooked on Hulls!

I took your previously owned Liddle Smoothie (for Michael S.) to Cardon Resort just n/of Mazatlan and had a blast.
    Finally going front side on a 300 yard left-hand point break
    YAHOOOOOO!

Attached files
    [​IMG]

8. icecreamheadache

icecreamheadache Active Member

Jan 14, 2006
    Ted-

I bet you had a hoot on that thing. I've got serious seller's remorse from passing that one on... That is one really well shaped board from a really good shaper. Got more pics from Cardon?

9. SMUKES

SMUKES Active Member

Jun 23, 2009
    USA California
    Dude, they simply do not work well backhand, or in steep beacbreak. It has nothing to do with cali vs the rest of the world. It simply is. I got no dog in the fight and could give two s&*ts what anyone chooses to slide. They trim from the middle, have their place but in NO WAY could be considered versatile. Since we (Californians) are the proponents for the shape primarily, its f#%kwards to blame us for pissing on them. Show me your hull in consequential surf wouldcha?

10. Guest

Guest Guest

lovelace knows what hes doing for sure. but he generally shapes boards in his own style for sb county point waves, keep that in mind. that said, his boards look great and the guys that ride em do it well.