Rotator Cuff..

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, May 9, 2017.

1. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    I hear this. 3 days post and while the major overall pain is gone, I definitely feel some pain, tightness and discomfort in places that didn't take a direct hit when I put my shoulder in certain positions, particularly around what I think is the AC joint. Ice and 800mg IB helps, but it looks like a trip to the doc is in order next week to start the evaluation process.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    yep, don't f*$* around with it..get a diagnosis so you now what you're dealing with..and hopefully nothing major, even a mild AC joint sprain can be painful as hell, so pain level not always the damage indicator..

3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    So I've been using my time out of the water to tend to some repairs on a couple of boards (picked up an 8-0 beat-on Stewart hydro-glide for effectively $10 that needed a bit of work). Good to get that done - I gotta say, that clear gorilla tape is some magic stuff - had it over more than one minor ding as a precaution for over a year with no water intrusion whatsoever.

Saw the Ortho yesterday - confirmed AC joint sprain/strain. No issues with rotator cuff, X-rays negative for skeletal issues, no major tear or other damage apparent. To my surprise, when I inquired about activity restrictions, he assured me I am OK TO SURF as long as I can manage the pain, listen to my shoulder (= don't be dumb) and don't mind possibly extending my time frame to completely pain-free a bit. Considering I'll be out of the water for most of July due to work, I think I'm ok with that trade off. Doc put me on a stronger anti-inflammatory (script naproxen) that has already made a big difference overnight. There's another bit of a bump forecast this weekend, so I may give it a careful go at if I can find an easy-entry spot tomorrow. I'll bring the mat with me just in case to extend the water time in case it's too painful. Stoked!

4. ac95

ac95 Member

Jun 3, 2014
    Los Angeles,California
    Years ago, while training jiu jitsu, my training partner performed an arm bar on me rather quickly. I heard it pop twice. I couldn't even push myself up from the ground. I didn't go to the doctor, I couldn't even lift my arm up past my head the next day. Paddling and surfing actually made it feel better. Not all injuries are the same, but the shoulder is a tricky area. To this day, when ever my shoulder is tweaked or strained, the paddling motion really helps it.