Rotator Cuff..

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, May 9, 2017.

1. Veterano

Veterano Active Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I have these sacks full rice that I microwave. One that's sewn into 3 sections for the back and other large areas, and one that's in the shape of those plane travel neck supports. They hold heat for a long time. 3 min. in the micro = a half hour of heat.
    You can get them at well stocked health food store (Whole Foods?) or better yet, online. They are made for pain therapy.

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    when Rodger Craig was the featured back for the 49ers, after every game he'd don a rubber g-string, ease himself into an ice bath for a tissue chilling 20 min soak..players thought he was nutz..these days there is a lineup after games for ice baths around the league...and Rodger, who remained remarkably injury free considering 30 touches a game for a decade, is a premier age group triathlete these days..

tomato vs tomoto.. :)

3. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    You can add me to the list of recent shoulder injuries - I was trail riding (aka mountain biking, but no real mountains on Cape Cod) yesterday on my lunch break and went shoulder-first into a sizable tree at a pretty good clip. Apparently the initial pain/shock was enough to make me get really nauseous and puke shortly after I got back on the bike to ride back out of the woods - that was weird. I have seemingly full range of motion, albeit painful, so I'm hopeful there's no major structural damage. I can certainly feel some marked weakness when lifting my arm, and I can't lift anything over 2 lbs at the moment, so I'm a bit worried I did some damage to the cuff. Driving home in my stick-shift cherokee was a b!tch.

I've been trying to self-diagnose because my insurance sucks and driving around first to the doctor then having to go to another location for an x-ray is a PITA right now since me and my wife both have sticks. Not sure how long this will keep me out of the water, but I'm pretty bummed, because I'm real careful with shoulder over-use to preserve my aging joints for water time. I suppose it could have been worse, at least initially - if I gave that tree the forearm shiver, I'm sure I would have a broken bone or two to contend with as well as some sort of shoulder strain. Suppose I'll rest it, NSAIDs and ice (or heat?) for a few days and see how it is.

4. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
  5. FirstPointEric

FirstPointEric Well-Known Member

May 9, 2010
    USA California
    IMG_9221.JPG

Salinity-By ALL MEANS, take it easy and don't try lifting things. If merely shifting car gears is a problem, then taking it slow is your best bet. I'm sorry your insurance sucks but what did the doctor say? Get to an orthopedist asap and get an MRI if you can and that'll show what's really going on. X-rays if not, but they'll only show bones. You're in the early stages of this, so definitely don't start doing weights trying to rehab/strengthen anything yet or soon. Mine involved immediate immobilization in as comfortable a sling as you can find. I had to sleep in mine for 6 weeks. My treatment early on (first two weeks) involved rotations of ice and heat and ibuprofen but your doctor should have a better recommendation depending on what he/she finds. Sorry to hear about your injury. Get better as quickly as possible.

The above was what my shoulder looked like right after my skating accident; it was a grade 4 dislocation.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    sorry to hear, Salinity..the standard test for RC tears is to stand with your arm at your side, then keeping the arm straight start to lift it up at 45 degrees to level with your shoulder, rotating the hand so the thumb points down on the way up, as if you're emptying a beer can (called the beer can test). Weakness, pain, or both, is pretty indicative of an RC issue (the Supraspinatus is the most common RC injury, it's role is to raise the arm).

Just had my last visit with the surgeon, we went over the photos taken during the surgery - RC was a ripped up mess, much worse then the usual tear, hence the year to heal. As it is, shoulder is doing well, have full range of motion, religious on the pulley, bands and light weights..surgeons cautionary remains wait a year to return to the lineup, and going forward only surf smaller days at a wave with a channel (duck diving is hard on RC's)...have always preferred bigger surf, and currently live in the land of 'fight to get out' beachbreak..so time for some lifestyle changes that include a new hang..maybe the mountains by some favored fly fishing waters, maybe on upper Puget Sound with a boat for chasing salmon and cruising..take trips to scratch the surf itch...

7. Silk123

Silk123 Member

Feb 11, 2005
    USA New Jersey
    Rotator cuff injuries can also be over diagnosed, according to a previous doctor of mine. I couldn't raise my arm any higher than my shoulder and couldn't rotate and point my thumb to the ground. I just assumed it was torn rotator cuff. Turns out it was tendinitis that went away after a shot of cortisone and novocaine. But as someone else said, an MRI is just about the only way to confirm the injury.

8. Salinity

Salinity Active Member

May 11, 2016
    USA Rhode Island
    Thanks for the well-wishes. Taking it easy is definitely part of my current Rx, though I'm typically impatient with these things. I haven't seen my doctor yet - I actually just got a new doc this past Monday due to an insurance change - I plan to pay her a visit next week if I don't see marked improvement after the weekend. It seems to be responding to ice and strong ibuprofen so far - there may be something to the application of heat suggested by Veterano as well, as being outside in the sun seemed to provide some level of relief. I've read good things about cayanne pepper rubs for strain type injuries. Hope your healing is going / went well.

BTW - did you get ahold of the SLIS DVD from Croweater? Think he mentioned he was going to see you in SD.

Thanks for that info. With a fair amount of ibuprofen in my system I seem to be able to "empty the beer can" without too much trouble aside from some not atypical popping and crackling which I'd expect from tendons moving over swollen bursa. No trouble actually emptying one into my gullet last night either. Fingers crossed.
    Maybe try a surf mat? I've recently started messing around with one and I gotta say it's pretty fun. Some shoulder still involved, but I would assume not nearly as much penchant for over-use type injuries.

9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    'over-use'..living on the coast between SF and Santa Cruz, surfed 300 days a year during my 20's, often alone or with just a mate or two, 200 days a year during my 30's and 40's, 60 to 80 days a year from 50 on..yea, way over used, lol

all good, so many fun memories in the bank..will still wet my gills when they need a rinse..and my son, a charger in any lineup, and I will likely still be discussing lineups and board design when I'm taking my last breaths...lol

10. 70s SanO

70s SanO Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Just a word to the wise... I also clipped a tree on a mountain bike, had discomfort but didn't have a lot of pain. My shoulder hurt in certain positions, but I could still hit a golf ball. I wasn't sure if I could paddle.

Got an MRI and have moderate tears on 2 tendons. Did PT and one of our sons got me back out there almost a year and a half ago. The PT and exercises did wonders. I'm usually out for 1.5 to 2 hours a couple times a week. Have gotten up to 3 hours, but I feel it. Ice/frozen pack is what works best for me.

You need to find out what is going on so you can strengthen the muscles around it. You don't want to do more damage.

John