Rotator Cuff..

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Surfnfish, May 9, 2017.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    So now 14 weeks post-op from repair of a badly torn rotator, traumatic rip vs. a clean snap.

Surgeon says was a difficult patch job, needs a full year of rehab and healing before paddling out again, and than dial it down, which would be a first.

A well worn 67, this my 5th orthopedic repair (decades of surfing and snowboarding the steep and deep takes a toll) in 16 years, and hasn't been a fun one to bounce back from.

So looking for some encouragement from other elders in the tribe who've been there, done this..either way, it's been a hell of a run with lotta grins safely in the bank.

2. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    hang in there snf, and heal well before you charge again.
    no rotator cuff issues yet for me, just back, knee and a couple of hernia surgeries in my mid 50's...back was finally ok for the last year, but then totally tore it up moving. numb left leg and partial deadfoot along with excruciating pain in the hip area. 2.5 weeks now and hoping the warm weather will hasten healing...the prednizone was mildly effective but not nearly enough help.
    And yes, the deep and steep take their toll, that's where my knee issues stem from

3. DanSan

DanSan Member

Jun 7, 2012
    USA California
    Hang in there
    Im 59
    I had my rotator cuff repair..and bicep tendon reattached march 17th..8 weeks..
    Went back to teaching college in 10 days...doc...says surfing in 6 months
    Good as new...

Do the rehab...especially at home..
    Be patient.

4. 70s SanO

70s SanO Active Member

Feb 16, 2004
    USA California
    Partially tore a couple of rotator cuff tendons clipping a tree on my mountain bike a couple years ago (too old and no skills). Ortho said to hold off going under the knife if I have motion without pain, but figures I'll need surgery in 5 years. We'll see. Did PT and I'm able to paddle.

My advice is to find out what activities your doc will let you do and pick one. I've been in and out of different sports, including surfing, over the years and it's all good. Just find something to keep the intensity. Stay in shape. Bank more grins. Hang in there!

John

5. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    hang in there snf for sure,

47, Partially tore RH rotator cuff during night skiing abut 5-6 years ago. Was suggested surgery with the possibility of bone spurs removal. was told I would be in a sling from 6 weeks to 6 months depends on how much damage they would have to repair so I decided against it. Did PT , lot of stretching and lap swimming. I think it bothers me once in a while during periods of complete lack of exercise but range of motions restored over time,.

p.s. I'm side sleeper and I used a long pillow to "unload" the arm at night to keep it extended along the body.

6. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    yea, been managing a partially torn rotator for 5 years through home program developed by sports med PT..then rip.

so religious on the rehab, live life, do other fun things and go places..see what's there at the end of the year..

Last edited: May 10, 2017
    Ticowannabe likes this.
  7. bonzer

bonzer Member

Mar 11, 2014
    USA New Jersey
    Agree with all who've chimed in to encourage you to hang in there and be patient and not overtax the injury. There is first healing, then stretching to break the scar tissue that forms in healing to restore range of motion, with light strengthening of other muscles in vicinity, finally giving way to strengthening of injured muscles and all around. Hopefully you have good insurance that will support a PT program and followups with your doc to time this right, not too fast but also not too slow. You gotta start that stretching as soon as it's safe because the longer you go without moving that joint, the harder it is to get the range back.

I gotta say that one year sounds like an overly long time. Granted I went thru 3 months of PT before surgery so was strong going in and had the good fortune of being in range of HSS in NYC, where these procedures are developed and perfected and docs specialize in specific areas and do 20 of the same thing every week. And I had less work done than you -- a bicep tendon that was wearing on the acromion shortened and reattached, bone spur removal and roto-rooter cleanout of floating bodies. I am 10 weeks post-op, 3 PT sessions a week up to now, pretty much all stretched out with strengthening of surrounding muscle and now beginning the strengthening of the affected muscle. Target date for back-in-the-water is mid-June, so 4 months total. My point is that though my set of circumstances is not the same as yours, a whole year sounds really long (right! you are saying) and you might consider having another doc look at you. I was surprised how hard the doc's PT guy was pushing me -- 300 two-handed golf club raises into the pain zone a day just 6 weeks out -- in addition to the scheduled PT. Being "cautiously aggressive" seems to be the way to get their patients back in the game more quickly. So my advice is to be careful and hang in there, yes, but ask the right questions with your goal in mind, and get a second opinion (or two) if you're unsatisfied. Good luck!

8. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I can relate, unfortunately, Surfnfish. Had surgery on both shoulders, torn rotator cuffs and biceps tendons, arthritis. Also have spinal stenosis in the neck, rehabbed throughout the winter. Have my self-pitying, might-as-well-pack-it-in moments (pain and paddling limitations limit me to clean waist and under days now), but last week in the lineup ran into a buddy who survived a pretty serious cancer scare, his first time out in the water, half the surfer he used to be, balance all screwed up, he finally caught a wave after an hour of trying and was stoked out of my mind, his grin after he paddled back out went right into the middle of my head and rearranged the wiring, kind of drove home the message that nothing and none of us last forever so there's really no point in wishing it won't or trying turn back or halt or even slow time. What the hell? I'll do this I can't, and then I'll miss it.

You'll heal up. Trust me on that. You got some waves left in you, and they'll be good.

Thor, 70s SanO and sonOsea like this.
  9. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    ya Bonzer, if PT doesn't hurt, not doing enough..

damn, Poidog, that's a load. Folks who haven't lived with chronic pain don't understand what it's like.

have PT work down - been through two knee repairs, hip replacement, detached pec, 2 herniated discs..probably 3 years of PT behind me..decades of surfing and snowboarding the steep and deep exact a toll.

Took 10 weeks of post-op work PT just to get my range of motion back on this one, fighting a tight shoulder..just started on bands and light weights, continuing the ROM work..half an hour daily

The thing is, I'm 67. Doesn't matter that I've been a workout junkie my whole life, eat boringly well, weigh what I did when I was 21...the worse the injury, the longer the heal, the older the injured, the even longer the heal..

all good, got this way having hella fun, with more to come..

10. ThinTheHerd

ThinTheHerd New Member

Nov 21, 2016
    Ocean City NJ
    I'm 52. Been surfing and playing ice hockey since I was 10. About 6-7 years ago I tore my RC during a hockey game and was told that I needed surgery. I was devastated that I would be out of the water and away from the rink for 9 months. Because of my work schedule I couldn't get the surgery done for a couple of months. During that time I religiously went to PT and did my home exercises every single day. When the day of surgery rolled around they put me in a gown, put a bracelet on my wrist and wheeled me into the operation room. The anesthesiologist waltzed in and was juuuust about to put me to sleep when I stopped him and said "I think I'm OK - It feels really good." I walked off the table, got in my car and skeedadled out of there. Haven't missed a swell since (although my slap shot isn't what it used to be). Moral of the story is: DO YOUR STUPID RUBBER BAND EXERCISES EVERY DAY!!!

ekim likes this.