Roof rack recommendations

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by longhairhippie, Apr 10, 2018.

1. longhairhippie

longhairhippie Member

Mar 31, 2011
    USA
    I recently purchased a new surf vehicle and it's time to ditch the soft racks. The new whip didn't come with rails but there is a predetermined place to mount racks. Which racks would you recommend? Do you go strictly manufacturer accessories, Thule, yakima or something else?

2. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Keep in mind hard bars can be noisy. Aero bars the quietest, round bars can whistle a bit, square bars can whistle a lot..way to beat it without going the expensive areo route is go round bar, buy some cheap black pipe insulation foam, install full across with wraps of Gorilla Tape, instant surfboard pad, zero rack whistle..Rack Attack a good source for racks

cheers

3. SdSurferguy

SdSurferguy Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2006
    USA
    I've been really happy w Thule crossbars and Inno locking racks. Inno's are inexpensive, easy to use, and secure.

4. takedown

takedown Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Eugene, OR
    A friend recommended the yakima supdawg for a locking rack. It has a neat feature with a wheel on the outside edge to help position the board roof. Racks to your crossbars and the cable straps lock as well. I've been happy with it. I think I found it at rack attack on sale.

5. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
  6. sightpoint

sightpoint Active Member

Jan 28, 2014
    2' and onshore
    Inno all the way. Don't have to use their crossbars, but their locking rack is well-engineered, simple and solid.

MoonDoggie likes this.
  7. Chilly Willy

Chilly Willy Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey
    I've always used Thule racks. They are not the cheapest solution, but they have served me very well over the years. I have reused mine for four different cars, but you do need a specific "fit kit" for your car. In my experience, the best car for them is my Honda Element -- there's a little panel that pops off the car's roof so I can screw the racks directly to the car frame, and there's a locking release button so I can remove the racks easily when I want to drive rack-free. Like Surfnfish said, they can make some noise, but it has never really bothered me. You can use a fairing to help with the wind noise, but I've never used one myself. You can get rack attachments that specifically carry certain things (surfboards, kayaks, snowboards, etc) and they work well, but I have lost parts to them or had them wear out with repeated frequent use. I always carry a tie down strap or two like this just in case I need a backup.

Pros: Solid construction, durable, rack attachments are well engineered and do a good job at what they're supposed to do, can be removed/reattached as you buy new cars over the years

Cons: Fit kits and rack attachments can get expensive, solid bars can be noisy

8. MoonDoggie

MoonDoggie New Member

Jul 20, 2014
    USA New Jersey
    x2

9. strez

strez Active Member

Mar 23, 2012
    USA Massachusetts
    I've used Thule over the years - with fairing. No like the noise.

FWIW, I always buy my racks used off CL - way cheaper. In fact you can often buy a used full setup, keep what you need, flip what you don't and end up with a super low-cost (net) setup.

Use Thule's or another's web car rack tool to find out what fits your model first, then hunt away...

Flip756 likes this.
  10. Bighouse

Bighouse Active Member

Feb 21, 2012
    East End, Long Island
    Also, I got the Thule fit kit for my Prius 50% less on Amazon.,