Retiring - Abroad?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    well, that's the rub, isn't it....problem being the majority of Americans don't have access to the best institutions, which are almost always found in the most prosperous cities and burbs.

When organizations like the WHO grade countries on their health delivery systems, it's not by grading across the top tier, it's by grading the entire system together.

I spent two decades working as a consultant with various hospitals helping them either prepare for forthcoming The Joint Commission inspections, or on a post-inspection basis helping them correct TJC noted deficiencies that had placed them on contingent accreditation. no TJC accreditation =no MediCare reimbursement for patient services rendered=closed hospital.

The TJC accreditation effort, literally thousands of pages of inspection requirements that cover every possible aspect of hospital operations all funnel down to two driving concerns = patient outcomes and morbidity rates. Did the patient get the right diagnosis and treatment, and how many admitted patients ended up with infections that weren't present when admitted, had wrongful medication reactions, were injured, or died...and shouldn't have.

And how well each hospital does always come down to economics...average income of the typical patient base = quality of their health plans and subsequent reimbursement to the hospital...major foundation giving from an affluent community vs. none...high reimbursement Tier One emergency centers vs indigents flooding of Tier 3 emergency centers needing non-reimbursed services...

So does the US have some great health care institutions? They have some of the best in the world, along with many if the best physicians and surgeons in the world. And they also have hundreds of rural and inner city hospitals struggling to keep the doors open, pay salaries, fund repairs to aging facilities, buy new medical equipment, keep up with their infection control training, fund long time employee pensions, etc, etc.

And these days the biggest health plan companies in the US, like United Healthcare, Wellpoint and Humana, are offering their subscribers greatly reduced patient bills and fully reimbursed trip expenses if they agree to have procedures performed in other countries where they have contracted for the procedures. And how are they making sure those hospitals in other countries are safe? By directly hiring TJC inspectors (who are all independents) to inspect the hospitals just like they would stateside.

And this has little to do with politics, and everything to do with economics.

https://www.jointcommission.org/

Driftwood and deemce like this.
  2. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    Agreed. I was referring to a couple of other comments that were clearly agenda-driven. Very familiar with JCAH inspections since I was on the surgical quality committees at three of the hospitals I attended. Yes, big disparity between the best of the hospitals and those in remote areas here.

PeakMaster likes this.
  3. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    yea, you know the deal..took me a while to rethink of the JCAHO as TJC after they formally renamed themselves..

4. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Well...I like those small tree frogs, bicycles & birthday cake.

image.jpeg

5. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    As long as I can take my greyhounds with me I’m there. Gonna start poking around the job market mañana.

6. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Let me suggest boning up on yer acronyms, H.

Big time.

(JIC)

RSVP me via PM if you have further questions.

-AK VIP from JB

PeakMaster likes this.
  7. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    I can't leave NJ. They're on the verge of legalizing weed.

8. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    the right coast late to the party .... again.

9. Human

Human Active Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Oceanside
    Visa application officially submitted.

10. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005