Retiring - Abroad?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    Yes i would think you would be well accepted based on what I read

2. shapewright

shapewright Active Member

Aug 6, 2006
    USA California
    IMG_0439.JPG After 5 years of hosting my pal Nico from Ericeria Portugal, owner of Wavegliders surfboards, he has returned the favor.
    I have been here for a little more than 2 weeks, Mrs. Phillips is ready to relocate already.
    Folks from Sweden, England, France, Germany, Austria, Spain have been dropping by to meet and greet.
    Missed the last swell, Nico's idea of leaving the factory early is 8:30PM.
    But last week I got this spot, about a 3 minute walk from his house overlooking this.

dingdong, R1H, Chilly Willy and 10 others like this.
  3. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    I have a friend who has property in NZ and has obtained his NZ citizenship, loves it. Getting that status is difficult, as previously pointed out. I'd like to second the consideration regarding health care abroad. If you're older and suffer the onset of something that requires high quality specialty care, you may have to return to the US to get it. A few places, like OZ and NZ do have excellent options for such problems, but most south of the border do not. It's a gamble. Just like everything else. :cool:

PeakMaster likes this.
  4. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    US healthcare isn't even ranked in the top 25 for overall quality of healthcare delivery..conversely, Malaysia is ranked #4 in the world for healthcare...son bounced the reef hard at G-Land, injuring his back, flew to Malaysia...full work up for hospital admit, X-rays, MRI and surgeon consult cost him $300 for a 2 day stay..in the US, out of pocket bill for that would be easily 15x that. Said the hospital was more like a first class hotel, ultra modern and clean, treated extremely well.

there is a reason why medical tourism is becoming a global industry, targeting patients from places like the US, England, Russia, etc, where healthcare is of much higher cost and lower overall quality...by doing it for much less cost and at a higher quality.

The countries excelling in healthcare delivery are all free enterprise zones that have prioritized both healthcare and education to be low cost, high quality platforms...imagine that..

5. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    The fallacy of US healthcare exceptionalism is crack for the right.

hankster likes this.
  6. Makawaosurfer93

Makawaosurfer93 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2007
    USA New Jersey
    It sounds as if the countries that you have mentioned , have healthcare that is not for profit or driven by lobbyists for huge Pharma. Another thread for another time.

deemce and hankster like this.
  7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    yea, it's a deep dive to cover..per this thread, just a reminder that retiring abroad doesn't necessarily mean access to good health care will be less...managed properly, it could be more...

8. pintail

pintail Active Member

Feb 19, 2004
    LA, California
    The healthcare report comparing the US and the rest of the world relates to delivery, infant mortality, and the percentage of underserved, not the quality you find in the best institutions here. Look it up, there's no question. The doctors in the 3rd world that provide better care mostly trained here or the UK. Not worth arguing with anyone about, since I can see lots of political bs entering the thinking on this. I had multiple patients every year come down from Canada to have me operate on them, both because of the long waits and the level of specialty training in many provinces wasn't good. Do what you will.

PeakMaster likes this.
  9. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    Thank you PT.

10. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    They would have been well served (and for a lot less money) to just have a private plan at home. And your term "political BS" is ignorant at best.