Retiring - Abroad?

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by cuda, Jun 20, 2018.

1. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    Im +/- 10 years away from retirement. My pension will be meager and who knows anymore if SS will still be around. For these and other reasons I've begun giving some thought to spending the wonderful and feeble golden years somewhere out of the country.

This was a fun read for the imagination. Short of deals but good primer.
    http://time.com/money/5021651/4-under-the-radar-ultra-cheap-overseas-retirement-destinations/

Anyone else thinking these thoughts, and want to share some tips, cautionary tails or words of (cough) wisdom?

2. Veterano

Veterano Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2013
    Don't be influenced in any way other than maybe learning about an overseas area from those sites/articles. Certainly not to learn about relocating to a foreign country.
    Here's my advice; visit the places you are interested in, stay for a month at least, talk to ex-pats, learn about the true rule of law, seasons, build costs, disease (with climate change this is becoming paramount),
    And one last thing; nothing in your life will be as hard as moving to and acclimating to, a foreign country. For a middle class American, nothing.

3. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    With 3 y o running around I'm reaaly far away from retirement (I started all over again) but in my previous life, I had discussions with my then-wife about a possibility of early retirement somewhere south of border she was really against it because of available medical services or rather lack of.
    Personally, I still thinking about settling in PR at some point in my life.

4. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007
    P.R. has always interested me too. Being in the Tropical storm runway makes it seem like more than Im going to want to deal with in my 60's - have you looked at Ecuador?

5. cuda

cuda Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2007

T - like the father I never had ;)
    I hear you loud and clear. and plan to travel and spend time in in places. I first have to look at whats affordable and hence the web search. I have no fantasies about acclimating to a foreign country. fwiw I have been on my own since I was 15 and relocated to cities where I didnt know a soul more than I'd care to admit. With the exception of my stupid surfboards I live simply. Other than the last 16 years of domesticity I have lived a hermits life. Maybe good preparation or maybe it will only make me an easy target. time will tell. I will also be moving alone when I do. Not having to worry about the expectations, comforts and security of anyone but myself will lessen the adjustment price I think.

6. WhiteRussian

WhiteRussian Active Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Boston Harbor
    one of the main reasons PR is high on my list is the fact it's US territory. Last 10 months, however, make it looks like it doesn't mean much. I'm still a strong believer in the successful recovery of the Enchanted Island though. Administrations come and go.

Haven't looked into any other countries myself. My friend is shopping around for bed and breakfast suitable villa in CR, we are invited to visit him when he settles, but he doesn't care about the ocean and it's probably going to be San Jose. BTW, he praises dentistry there and has several procedures done despite being able to afford to pay for it here in Boston.

My other buddy is a diving fanatic; last year he bought a condo in Curacao and now work remotely about 4-5-6 winter months from there. I don't think would survive long there.

7. Surfnfish

Surfnfish Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2015
    significant differences between Asian and European culture...experience both to see which one works best for you...and Veterano is on the money...with as fast as the globe is changing both ecologically and politically, ten years time will only accelerate these changes, and what looks good now may not then...

and a low cost retirement can be had in the US...have a friend who retired with low savings and only SS income, moved from the SF bay area to the middle of bumfuck, nowhere... his rent like $400 a month...veggie garden, hunts and fishes some...has a couple of health conditions that MediCare coverage gets him through...when winter comes he jumps in an old RV and heads south for some dirtbag camping on the cheap, heads back home come early spring...

if you're worried about SS and Medicare being there when you're older, keep voting for folks willing to fight to make sure it stays solvent...

8. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Looking at it from a different angle, I have in-laws who live in Spain (having moved from Wales) and it's not an easy ride in more ways than one.. First 5yrs was great, despite finding out that the house had been illegally built, but now health issues, isolation, distance from kids and grandkids is taking its toll...

Not saying you shouldn't consider it, but if you have any chance of keeping a foothold 'back home' then that will be a positive and reassuring thing.

9. Planktom

Planktom Active Member

Dec 27, 2016
    Devon, UK
    Of course, if you have no ties, then f'in go for it! Haha

10. Driftwood

Driftwood Active Member

Dec 2, 2014
    France
    Some good comments above.

I made my move pre-retirement and have questioned it at times. Far from most of my family, weather not up to SD standards, just a different take on life... which is sometimes fascinating and sometimes frustrating. Distance can be a major bummer and be well aware of that.

On the other hand, my kids have grown up in a great environment and have become much better people than I was at their age, so regrets are not an issue.

For almost everyone, life as an expat has its hard times. Look well into the legal issues and health care. Look into the general culture and the specifics of everything you can think of. Spend some time there. And then go back to verify.

Days like this - at the beach with my family and digging on the fact that I have great health care that took care of my blown knee and my constant skin cancer issues... talking about university studies for my daughter that are not only quality but affordable, (and with my folks coming in a few weeks and a couple of glasses of darned good Bordeaux in me), I'm feeling pretty good about it. No crazy trigger warnings or personal issues when teaching... and I can build a fire on the beach to brew my coffee and no one is going to give me a hard time.

Just be thorough in your research, think it through, and don't be afraid to back peddle if it's not what you hoped it would be.