Restoration help

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by Scott Cole, Mar 31, 2018.

1. Scott Cole

Scott Cole New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Orangevale Calif
    Was hoping for a little help, does anyone know of a email address or contact number for Randy Rarick. I’m looking to get a G and S Mike Hynson model restored. Thanks all

2. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Surfpro@hawaii.rr.com

3. Scott Cole

Scott Cole New Member

Dec 26, 2016
    Orangevale Calif
    Thanks very much for your help. Have a great day. Scott

4. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    Scott. It would be cool to hear some follow up on this. RR does seem to be the king of restorations and I never heard from anyone who contacted him about his services. Thanks.

5. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I've had Randy do total restorations of 3 boards. He has a reputation for honesty and has earned it as far as I am concerned. The 3 boards were each historically valuable but in terrible condition. If not for their rarity, they would have gone in the dumpster. The total restoration involves peeling the glass, cleaning up the foam, and re-glassing. Two of the boards were foam and came out looking like new. One was balsa and didn't come out up to Randy's standards. Without me asking, he discounted the restoration cost significantly.
    I have some before and after pics I could post if anybody is interested.

6. Gill

Gill Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ

I would be totally interested in seeing some pics of the boards before and after! Although, im not planning on having any boards restored, but would still be stoked to see!

7. SeniorGrom

SeniorGrom Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2012
    USA New Jersey
    There was a good article in The Surfers Journal a couple of years ago. Complete with nice photos.

8. mgarbutt

mgarbutt Active Member

Apr 5, 2011
    USA Delaware
    I've been having a lot of fun doing some restos lately, Randy sure is the best. Takes a lot of skill & knowledge to bring those old boards back. For me its been great giving some of these toasted boards new life!

9. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    OK, this is a Phil Honolulu that Randy did. It was in even worse shape than shown in the pictures.
    Edwards Angle Bottom.jpg Edwards Angle Deck.jpg IMG_3935.JPG IMG_3939.JPG

Surfnfish likes this.
  10. garagefull

garagefull Active Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Another Phil Honolulu, this one came out amazing. Check out the double tapered high density center stringer.
    IMG_5760m.jpg IMG_5763m.jpg DSC02602l.jpg DSC02604m.jpg

Gill likes this.