Responsible Living: Appliances vs Surfboards

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by applekat, Jul 2, 2018.

1. applekat

applekat Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2007
    Summer's are funny here in SW Florida.

Gray clouds, perpetual rain & deserted condo parking lots (cue the tumbleweed & dismal low-budget Western whistles) all too often cast an uninvited blanket of depression, solitude & waveless angst over those not prepared for what I like to refer to as the TRUE 90F degree "Winter of Our Discontent"...in July.

A surfer's mind will race in countless directions...funds are thoughtlessly squandered on wildly expensive (moreso unnecessary) inebriating provisions, thumbs will twiddle til they're tender, bloody nubs...& cats--with blank stares--quietly roam amongst us.

I often try to be an adult about things when this season is here....but it's difficult.

Fast forward to the present...to understanding the unique intricacies of owning & accepting an energy-sucking, 12-yr old, $499 refrigerator....on her incredibly affordable, wobbly last leg...an ice maker that chooses to tell terrible, gurgling jokes versus freezing my water supply.

Yes...she leaks--poor girl. Accidents happen.

And I think to myself...gotta replace it. Have to. No brainer.

Smudge- less Stainless Steel seems to be all the rage these days...I've also been told having the French Doors increases one's chances of getting laid on a 2nd date by a mind-blowing 71%. An incredible (if not entirely made up) statistic.

But...you see--as most, if not all of you know, it's a frighteningly expensive endeavor.

The pros & cons are staggering:

image.jpeg

I mean, c'mon...fridge's nowadays flirt with an unsavory $1200-$1800 price tag. I'm talking the basic stuff. If I want it to lovingly whisper to me, tell me how I'm low on mayonnaise or catch up on the latest episode of General Hospital on a tiny 1080p screen...hell, slap $500-$700 MORE on top that.

Absurd.

And yeah....don't judge....I've actually paused and sincerely thought just what sort of brand new, shiny longboard those allocated funds could possibly get me......spoiled luncheon meats, mossy jade-green blocks of cheese & salmonella-riddled eggs be damned.

No more excuses...time to be a grown-up.....

image.jpeg

In strange Applekat fashion, I often turn to creative outlets...sort of a pressure release valve of mine to somehow keep me emotionally balanced and in check. You know what they say about idle hands. Besides--Lucifer & I would NEVER get along...I understand he's more of a "bourbon guy". Unacceptable.

$129 later (new ice maker) and a frantic search around my abode for scraps of luxurious kangaroo suede, reptilian leather and Asian brass tacking (cost: approx $0)...I chose to save her from an untimely demise.

Artsy hands, don't fail me now.

Fellas, I give you what just might possibly be (at least according to an exhaustive 20 minute Google search) the world's first fully functional, brass-armored, alligator-skin wrapped (with soft black accents to hide the seams) fridge:

image.jpeg

(Of course who knew just how stubborn the outer shell of an appliance actually is...unreal)

image.jpeg

(I secretly want to believe she's purring with gratitude)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Now to thumb thru a mental catalogue of shapers......I've got time....and unspoiled yogurt.

JP? SWT? 9'6-9'8?

No loop. I prefer heartlessly endangering the oblivious, swollen-pink 120SPF vacationers.

AK
    >^,,^<

newlyn, michael and deemce like this.
  2. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    who has that much faux alligator skin just laying around the house?....incredible.

applekat and michael like this.
  3. Lackosense

Lackosense Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2017
    Long Beach, NY
    also, as a caucasian...judging by your picture, you have way too many Chinese symbols per square foot of living space. Feng Shui is out of balance!

applekat likes this.
  4. applekat

Jul 31, 2007
    (Go Russia...I secretly adore your Cup goalie)

If I could walk you thru this god-forsaken place, you'd know why.

5. applekat

Jul 31, 2007
    KPD! Back me up here!

(It's a mish-mosh of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Mongolian, Balinese, turn of the century Americana.)

PM TenFooter for further detail. :D

6. dingdong

dingdong Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2013
    USA California
    I find that regular tile floor...insulting!

applekat likes this.
  7. Ticowannabe

Ticowannabe Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    the fabric on that range seems somehow familiar

applekat likes this.
  8. PeakMaster

PeakMaster Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2004
    USA New Jersey CMC
    ".I've also been toldhaving the French Doors increases one's chances of getting laid on a 2nd date by a mind-blowing 71%."

Just imagine, if you will, what a side x side with ice and water through the door will get you. Turn that place into a regular shag shack.
    Digging the tiki type carving next to the crocbox.

9. nedsurf

nedsurf Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2005
    I have that shirt.

10. applekat

Jul 31, 2007
    I'm workin on it, DD!

I still have my dishwasher to finish...covering THAT bad boy in chia-seeds...with enough tender care--and a proper water regimen--fingers crossed it takes..

:eek:

dingdong likes this.