Redman Manville board: seeking info

Discussion in 'Surfing' started by poidog, Sep 8, 2018.

1. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    So as our thoughts turn to hurricane season here on the east coast my thoughts turn to a 10' Redman WRV I picked up a couple of years ago. Hung on some dude's wall since Redman shaped it for him. Triple-stringer, tailblock, considerable, continuous rocker. Never felt so much confidence in a board in larger waves, especially on late, steep drops. Just passed on a CA-shaped DT1 because I'd reach for the Redman first, no question.

The serial number on the bottom says 60298-6 or 60298-G. Does anyone know (or know who might know) how I could get more info on the board? I'd at least like to know the year it was shaped ('98?). Wish I could ask Redman but he died in 2004.

He was an icon back in the day. "That's a Redman." "Wo." Have had a couple old-timers cross the parking lot just to take a look.

Much obliged in advance for any help.

2. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Idk the answer but I had one by redman wrv and I believe it had a date on it and I kinda remember late 90's so your probably right.

I loved the shape of that board, it's lines just looked super appealing... but I traded it for a beautiful LB. kinda wish I still had it but I don't surf big waves much anymore and it really didn't get much use anyways. It did perform really well in the steepest surf you could throw at it. I remember a head high Day that was steep and pretty much closing out. No one was making its - but that board would take off and practically surf it's self, flying down the line making every wave.

3. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Post some pics of the board!!

4. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    I will as soon as my son or daughter comes home and shows me how haha.

shadydave likes this.
  5. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
  6. Gill

Gill Active Member

Mar 21, 2018
    Spring Lake Heights, NJ
    Still would really cool to see some pics of the board!

7. Basenji703

Basenji703 Active Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Virginia Beach, VA
    You are correct, the 98 at the end is the year shaped. I have had a number of Redman WRVs and they were amazing boards!! The ones I had were all glassed very light and dinged easily. That being said, they were all great boards!!!

8. Roadmaster

Roadmaster Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2015
    USA Virginia
    Let me know if you need help dealing with WRV, my brother was the long time general manger of the outer banks WRV surf shop. He is now semi-retired as the manager but still helps out with orders and dealing with all the various reps. He knew Redman very well and thought highly of him as a shaper and person.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.
  9. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Hey much obliged guys, I really appreciate it. Gill, my son came home but his nose was buried in his phone over football fantasy stuff, then he left. Roadmaster, I'm going to send you a pm.
    Thanks,
    Paul

10. poidog

poidog Active Member

Sep 7, 2010
    One quick story, just mentioned this to Roadmaster. Back in the day I was looking at the quiver of one of my cousins in Hawaii. Power surfer. Local. Never had anything good to say about the East Coast of course. But he had a gun shaped by Redman, which he loved. No clue how he got it. "East Coast guy," he said, pointing to the signature on the stringer. Never forgot that.

Makawaosurfer93 likes this.